|Area of Expertise||medicine|
|publishing company||Elsevier ( UK )|
|First edition||October 15, 1823|
|Frequency of publication||weekly|
|Impact Factor||59,102 (2018)|
It was founded in 1823 by Thomas Wakley . His intention was to expose the corruption and nepotism widespread in medicine. With the help of the Lancet, the surgeon wanted to "reform, inform and entertain". All the articles in the Lancet from the first edition in 1823 to the present day are now available online, most of which are subject to a charge.
The journal's impact factor in 2018 was 59.102.
Magazines emerged from The Lancet
The Lancet has produced a number of other renowned medical journals that deal with specialty areas of medicine. These include u. a. The Lancet Diabetes and Endocrinology , The Lancet Global Health , The Lancet HIV , The Lancet Haematology , The Lancet Infectious Diseases , The Lancet Neurology , The Lancet Oncology , The Lancet Psychiatry, and The Lancet Respiratory Medicine .
Some classic articles from the Lancet
- Malignant cholera: documents communicated by the Central Board of Health London, relative to the treatment of cholera by the copious injection of aqueous and saline fluids into the veins ; T. Latta - Early Example of Intravenous Treatment
- Principles of Medical Statistics ; AB Hill - Understanding Medical Statistics
- Thalidomide and congenital abnormalities ; WG McBride - First published note about the malformations caused by thalidomide
- A new synthetic penicillin PA-248 ; GM Williamson, JK Morrison, KJ Stevens - A New Penicillin PMID 13785541
- Clinical use of a new synthetic penicillin: PA-248 ; M. Nagley - Clinical use of this new penicillin PMID 13727457
- Effectiveness of intravenous thrombolytic treatment in acute myocardial infarction ; Gruppo Italiano per lo Studio della Streptochinasi nell'Infarto Miocardico (GISSI) - Report on the treatment of myocardial infarction with streptokinase PMID 2868337
- Randomized trial of intravenous atenolol among 16,027 cases of suspected acute myocardial infarction: ISIS-1 ; ISIS Collaborative Group 1 - beta blocker therapy in heart attack PMID 2873379
- Randomized trial of intravenous streptokinase, oral aspirin, both, or neither among 17,187 cases of suspected acute myocardial infarction: ISIS-2 ; ISIS-2 Collaborative Group - Second international study on heart attack survival rates PMID 2899772
- In a grossly flawed study, Andrew Wakefield assumed a connection between measles / mumps / rubella vaccination (MMR) for children and autism . He worked with a law firm that wanted to sue the vaccine maker and applied for a patent on an alternative vaccine. The study was withdrawn from the Lancet in 2010. The British Medical Association withdrew his license in 2010.
- Effect of carvedilol on outcome after myocardial infarction in patients with left-ventricular dysfunction: the CAPRICORN randomized trial ; The CAPRICORN Investigators - Efficacy of Carvedilol in a Subgroup of Heart Attack Patients PMID 11356434
- Relation between consumption of sugar-sweetened drinks and childhood obesity: a prospective, observational analysis ; David S. Ludwig et al. On the relationship between sugared drinks and later obesity in children PMID 11229668
- Anastrozole alone or in combination with tamoxifen versus tamoxifen alone for adjuvant treatment of postmenopausal women with early breast cancer: first results of the ATAC randomized trial ; The ATAC (Arimidex, Tamoxifen Alone or in Combination) Trialists' Group - on various treatment options for breast cancer in woman PMID 12090977
- Coronavirus as a possible cause of severe acute respiratory syndrome ; JSM Peiris et al. - The causative agent of SARS is possibly a coronavirus PMID 12711465
- Newly discovered coronavirus as the primary cause of severe acute respiratory syndrome ; T. Kuiken et al. - Acknowledgment PMID 12892955
- MRC / BHF Heart Protection Study of cholesterol-lowering with simvastatin in 5963 people with diabetes: a randomized controlled trial ; Heart Protection Study Collaborative Group - Statin Treatment for Heart Attack Prevention in Diabetic People PMID 12814710
- Are the Clinical Effects of Homeopathy Placebo Effects? Comparative Study of Placebo-Controlled Trials of Homeopathy and Allopathy ; A. Shang et al. PMID 16125589
- Lancet. A journal of British and foreign medicine, surgery, obstetrics, physiology, chemistry, pharmacology, public health and news, founded by Thomas Wakley. Elsevier, London 1.1823ff.
- The Lancet. In: Journal Citation Reports . Clarivate Analytics, 2018. Retrieved November 20, 2019.
- Wakefield AJ et al .: Ileal-lymphoid-nodular hyperplasia, non-specific colitis, and pervasive developmental disorder in children . Lancet. 351 (9103), 1998, pp. 637-41 PMID 9500320
- retraction - ileal lymphoid nodular hyperplasia, non-specific colitis, and pervasive developmental disorder in children . Lancet. 375 (9713), 2010, p. 445 PMID 20137807