Order of Merit of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg
The Order of Merit of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg ( French Ordre de Mérite du Grand-Duché de Luxembourg ) was founded by her on January 23, 1961 in honor of the 65th birthday of Grand Duchess Charlotte . It is awarded for merits in the fields of agriculture , trade , industry , handicrafts , social institutions, tourism , art and literature . It is also intended to reward long and loyal service by workers , employees and officials of the Grand Duchy . The Order of Merit can also be awarded to foreigners.
The Order of Merit consists of five classes and an associated Medal of Merit
The medal is a white enameled golden paw cross , whereby the cross for knights is made of silver . The cross arms have a light blue enameled edge, which is bordered by narrow gold lines. In the medallion , which is surrounded by a ring with a golden laurel wreath , an upright, red enamelled and gold-rimmed lion. On the reverse of the medallion the crossed gold initial C (Charlotte) surmounted by a crown . The ring around the medallion does not have a laurel wreath.
The silver gold-plated merit medal is a paw cross with rays in the cross angles. In the center the embossed Luxembourg lion. On the reverse the crowned initial described above.
Ribbon and way of wearing
The Grand Cross is carried with a sash from the right shoulder to the left hip and a silver-gilt breast star on which the medal is placed. Grand officers and commanders wear the medal from the neck , while grand officers also wear a silver-plated breast star. Officer, knight and bearer of the medal of merit decorate the medal on the ribbon on the left side of the chest, with a rosette attached to the officer's ribbon.
The ribbon is red with narrow blue and white stripes.
If the owner dies or if a higher class is awarded, the insignia of the order must be returned.
- Jean Schoos : The orders and decorations of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg and the former Duchy of Nassau in the past and present. Sankt-Paulus-Druckerei, Luxemburg 1990, ISBN 2-87963-048-7 .
- Official Journal of January 23, 1961 (French, PDF file; 118 kB)
- Publication of the medal holders 2013 in the Official Gazette of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg (PDF file)
- Publication of the medal holders 2012 in the Official Gazette of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg (PDF file)
- Publication of the medal holders 2011 in the Official Gazette of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg (PDF file)