Live and act
From 1946 to 1949 Schoos studied at the university in Freiburg, Switzerland . He received his doctorate there in 1949 in French on the history of Luxembourg in the first half of the 13th century . He then moved to the University of Bonn , where he joined in 1954 in German language with a thesis on the late medieval power struggle between Burgundy and Orléans and its consequences for the German-French border area habilitated .
From 1957 Schoos taught at the Bonn Institute for Historical Regional Studies of the Rhineland , first as a private lecturer , then from 1964, following a visiting professorship at the University of Toulouse , as a professor. In 1989 he retired , but continued his courses (including regular lectures on the history of France in French) until 1995. From 1952 Schoos was a corresponding member of the history section of the Luxembourg Institute Grand-Ducal .
The focus of Schoos' research was, in addition to the French history of the late Middle Ages , above all the history of Luxembourg and its dynasties, on which he published several studies spanning epochs, in which he always combined geographical and genealogical approaches. From this a volume grew in 1990 on "orders and decorations" of the Luxembourgish dukes and their successors in Nassau .
- Le développement politique et territorial du pays de Luxembourg dans la première moitié du XIIIème siècle. Beffort, Luxembourg 1950.
- The power struggle between Burgundy and Orléans under the dukes Philip the Bold, John without Fear of Burgundy and Louis of Orléans. With special consideration of the conflict in the Franco-German border area (= Publications de la Société pour la Recherche et la Conservation des Monuments historiques dans le Grand-Duché de Luxembourg. Volume 75). Beffort, Luxembourg 1956.
- The orders and decorations of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg and the former Duchy of Nassau, past and present. Saint-Paul, Luxembourg 1990, ISBN 2-87963-048-7 .
- Throne and dynasty. Essays from three decades, compiled and published on the occasion of the silver wedding anniversary of Her Royal Highnesses the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg. Saint-Paul, Luxembourg 1978. (French and German articles)
- The Luxembourg family. History of a dynasty. In: Franz-Josef Heyen (Ed.): Balduin von Luxemburg. Archbishop of Trier - Elector of the Empire 1285–1354. Festschrift on the occasion of the 700th year of birth (= sources and treatises on the Middle Rhine church history. Volume 53). Verlag der Gesellschaft für Mittelrheinische Kirchengeschichte, Mainz 1985, pp. 119–149.
- Modern dynasties in the old Lotharingian area. Historical-sociological investigation of the Western European dynasties with the help of the pedigree (12 generations) of today's Hereditary Grand Duke of Luxembourg. In: Marlene Nikolay-Panter, Wilhelm Janssen , Wolfgang Herborn (eds.): Historical regional studies of the Rhineland: regional findings and cross-spatial perspectives. Georg Droege in memory. Böhlau, Cologne / Vienna 1994, ISBN 3-412-06893-4 , pp. 415-451.
- Pierre Even : Nekrolog [Jean Schoos]. In: Nassauische Annalen Volume 117, 2006, pp. 547-549.
- Manfred Groten : Jean Schoos 1924-2005. In: Rheinische Vierteljahrsblätter Volume 69, 2005, pp. VII – VIII ( digitized version )
- Literature by and about Jean Schoos in the catalog of the German National Library
- Publications by Jean Schoos in the OPAC of the Regesta Imperii
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Luxembourg historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 8, 1924|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Berdorf|
|DATE OF DEATH||April 9, 2005|
|Place of death||Berdorf|