Ghidella studied mechanical engineering at the Politecnico di Torino after the Second World War . He came to Fiat through jobs at Svenska Kullagerfabriken and New Holland , where Gianni Agnelli made him managing director and president of the Fiat auto division in 1979 . The Ghidella era is considered one of the most profitable for Fiat in the last few decades. Under the leadership of Ghidella, who is also known as the father of the Uno , the new releases Fiat Uno , Fiat Croma , Fiat Tipo , Lancia Delta , Lancia Thema and Autobianchi Y10 came onto the market.
The takeover of Alfa Romeo also took place while Ghidella was managing director. As Fiat boss he was also responsible for the motorsport activities of Lancia and Ferrari . In 1988, after differences of opinion about the further development of the automotive division, he resigned from his functions with General Manager Cesare Romiti and left the group.
In 1989 he got a consultancy contract with Ford and worked there as a consultant for many years.
- Vittorio Ghidella engineer on zeit.de/1988/52/volkswagen-im-haetztest/
- Vittorio Ghidella Engineer on de.motor1.com/news/389112/30-years-alfa-romeo-sz/
- Vittorio Ghidella died on tio.ch/ticino/economia/623431/
- Vittorio Ghidella leaves Fiat
- Ghidella becomes a consultant at Ford ( page no longer available , search in web archives )
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Italian automotive engineer and managing director of Fiat's auto division|
|DATE OF BIRTH||January 19, 1931|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Vercelli|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 15, 2011|
|Place of death||Lugano|