Walter Hilbrands (born July 5, 1965 in Weener ) is a German evangelical theologian . Since 2016 he has been dean of the Free Theological University in Gießen .
Life and academic career
Walter Hilbrands was born on July 5, 1965 in Weener, East Frisia. He graduated from the Ubbo-Emmius-Gymnasium in Leer in 1985 and then studied Protestant theology from 1986 to 1995 in Krelingen , Giessen and at the Protestant Theological University in Kampen, the Netherlands . There he worked as an assistant to Professor Cornelis Houtman until 2005. From 1995 to 1998 Hilbrands taught the subject of the Old Testament at the Bible School in Kirchberg an der Jagst .
In 1998 he was appointed lecturer for the Old Testament and the Hebrew language at the FTH Gießen, whose Old Testament department he now heads. His main research interests are in the areas of prehistory , ecclesiastical and exegetical methodology . With work saint or whore? The history of reception of Judah and Tamar (Genesis 38) from antiquity to the time of the Reformation , he received his doctorate in theology in 2005 at the Protestant Theological University of Kampen .
After Hilbrands had already been the dean of studies at the FTH Gießen from 2007 , he was appointed dean of the university in 2016.
In addition to his teaching activities, Hilbrands has contributed to numerous theological publications as an author or editor . He wrote several articles on the Scientific Biblical Lexicon on the Internet as well as various writings on Old Testament topics. After overseeing the reviews of the Old Testament since 2000, from 2007 onwards he edited the review section of the Yearbook for Evangelical Theology .
Hilbrands has been a member of the Working Group for Evangelical Theology (AfeT) for more than 30 years and, together with others, has a leading role in its “Old Testament” (FAGAT) specialist working group. He is a member of the European network Fellowship of European Evangelical Theologians (FEET) and is also a member of the Society of Biblical Literature (SBL).
Walter Hilbrands is married and lives with his family near Giessen.
- as an author
- Saint or whore? The reception story of Judah and Tamar (Genesis 38) from antiquity to the time of the Reformation . In: Contributions to biblical exegesis and theology . tape 48 . Peeters Publishers, Leuven 2007, ISBN 978-90-429-1914-3 ( online ).
- with Manfred Dreytza and Hartmut Schmid : Studying the Old Testament. An introduction to the methods of exegesis . Biblical Monographs 10, 2., revised. Edition, R. Brockhaus, Wuppertal 2007, ISBN 3-417-29471-1
- as editor
- Walter Hilbrands (ed.): Love language - understand God's word: Contributions to biblical exegesis - Festschrift for Heinrich von Siebenthal . Brunnen, Giessen 2011, ISBN 978-3-7655-9247-8 .
- with Tina Arnold and Heiko Wenzel: Lord, what is man that you take care of him ...?: Contributions to the biblical image of man. SCM R. Brockhaus, Wuppertal 2013, ISBN 978-3-417-29250-3 .
- Walter Hilbrands: The relationship between angels and Yahweh in the Old Testament, especially in the Book of Exodus . In: The Interpretation of Exodus: Studies in Honor of Cornelis Houtman (= Riemer Roukema, Bert Jan Lietaert Peerbolte, Klaas Spronk [Ed.]: Contributions to biblical exegesis and theology . Volume 44 ). Peeters Publishers, Leuven 2006, ISBN 978-90-429-1806-1 , pp. 81-96 .
- Walter Hilbrands: Doxology (AT). In: Michaela Bauks, Klaus Koenen, Stefan Alkier (Eds.): The Scientific Biblical Lexicon on the Internet (WiBiLex), Stuttgart 2006 ff.
- Walter Hilbrands: On the history of the reformed church in Weener . In: Church council of the evangelical reformed community Weener (ed.): Festschrift 300 years of the Arp Schnitger organ . H. Risius, Weener 2010, p. 63-83 .
- Walter Hilbrands: The importance of the structure and integrity of the preacher's book for the theology . In: Siegbert Riecker / Julius Steinberg (ed.): The sacred heart of the Torah. Festschrift for Hendrik J. Koorevaar on his 65th birthday. Shaker, Aachen 2011, ISBN 978-3-8440-0584-4 , pp. 153-166 .
- Walter Hilbrands: The length of the days of creation. An exegetical and historical reception study of jom (“day”) in Gen 1,1-2,3 . In: Biblical Notes . NF 149, 2011, p. 3-12 .
- Walter Hilbrands: The Book of Genesis in Research since 1990 . In: European Journal of Theology . tape 26/1 , 2017, p. 4-14 .
- Walter Hilbrands: "With Psalms and Hymns". The Reformation, Music and Liturgy . In: Pierre Berthoud, Pieter J. Lalleman (eds.): The Reformation. Its roots and its legacy . Shaker, Eugene / OR 2017, ISBN 978-1-4982-3569-3 , pp. 55-73 .
- Literature by and about Walter Hilbrands in the catalog of the German National Library
- Works by and about Walter Hilbrands in the German Digital Library
- Vita on the FTH Gießen website
- ↑ Featured Author - Dr. Walter Hilbrands. In: paternosterperiodicals.co.uk. Retrieved July 5, 2018 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German evangelical theologian and dean of the Free Theological University of Giessen (FTH)|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 5, 1965|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Weener|