life and work
After studying medicine - interrupted by military service in the medical service - the state examination in 1945 and doctorate in 1946 in Berlin , Kirsche became a scientific assistant in 1946 and, after his habilitation in 1950, lecturer at the anatomical institute of the Humboldt University in Berlin . Here he devoted himself primarily to brain and nerve cell research and was appointed professor of anatomy in 1951 . 1966 to 1980 he was director of the anatomical institute of this university. In 1970, Kirsche was elected a member of the Leopoldina . In 1969 he became a corresponding and in 1974 a full member of the Academy of Sciences of the GDR .
In addition to his university teaching and research activities, Kirsche was committed to protecting nature and its life forms, in particular researching European tortoises. Walter Kirsche became an honorary member of the German Society for Herpetology and Terrarium Studies as well as other national and international societies and associations. In 1973 he was awarded the GDR National Prize for Science and Technology for his scientific and educational achievements .
Kirsche donated his natural history collection of numerous turtle preparations, insects and fossils to the regional environmental protection center of the Dahme-Heideseen Nature Park . On his 87th birthday on June 21, 2007, Kirsche was able to personally experience the opening of the relevant exhibition in the visitor center there.
- The regenerative processes on the spinal cord of adult teleosts after surgical continuity separation. Habilitation thesis . Humboldt University of Berlin . 1950.
- with Samuil M. Blinkov and Ilja I. Glezer: The central nervous system in numbers and tables. Fischer Verlag, 1968.
- Drawing templates and overviews for the lecture on the human nervous system and sense organs. greeted by Hermann Stieve , 7th edition. VEB Fischer, Jena 1977.
- The housing and regular breeding of Mediterranean tortoises. In: International Zoo Yearbook. 19: 42-49 (1979). doi: 10.1111 / j.1748-1090.1979.tb00523.x
- Christian Gottfried Ehrenberg on the 100th anniversary of his death. A contribution to the history of microscopic brain research. Akademie-Verlag, Berlin 1977 (= meeting reports of the Academy of Sciences of the GDR. No. 9 N, 1977).
- Oskar Vogt 1870–1959: Life and work and its relationship to contemporary brain research. A contribution to the 25th anniversary of his death. Akademie-Verlag, Berlin 1986, ISBN 3-05-500006-4 .
- In memoriam Helmke Schierhorn (Oct. 13, 1934 – Aug. 10, 1986). In: Z Mikrosk Anat Forsch. 102, 1988, pp. 353-363. PMID 3057754 .
- Jan Evangelista Purkyně 1787–1868. A contribution to the 200th anniversary of his birthday. Akademie-Verlag, Berlin 1989 (= meeting reports of the Academy of Sciences of the GDR. Mathematics – Natural Sciences – Technology. 1988, No. 5 / N), ISBN 3-05-500520-1 .
- The tortoises of Europe. Mergus, Verlag für Natur- und Heimtierkunde Baensch, Melle 1997, ISBN 3-88244-009-0 .
- Hans Sonnenberg: Enjoy the joy of protecting life - In memory of Prof. Dr. med. Walter Kirsche (PDF document, contribution in the 2009 book of NABU Dahmeland)
- Liane Stephan: The fossil collection of a Pätz scientist was handed over to the Natural History Museum. In: Märkische Allgemeine . June 19, 2010.
- Literature by and about Walter Kirsche in the catalog of the German National Library
- Portrait of Walter Cherry
- Member of Walter Kirsche at the German Academy of Natural Scientists Leopoldina , accessed on August 10, 2015.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German anatomist, university professor, naturalist and environmentalist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 21, 1920|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Oelsnitz / Erzgeb.|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 30, 2008|
|Place of death||Pätz|