As the Age of Aquarius (also aquarianisches or New Age called) is in the western astrology and other areas of esotericism called since the 1960s, from different sides, a period of approximately 2000 years, which under the so-called Platonic year by the passage of the vernal equinox by the ecliptic constellation of Aquarius is to be shaped.
World outlook background
According to some of today's esoteric and occultists , Anglo-Indian theosophists and New Age adherents, the world has been in the Aquarian Age since the second half of the 20th century. This is explained by the fact that around the birth of Christ, the vernal equinox moved from the constellation Aries to the constellation Pisces and viewed from there about 2000 years later to Aquarius. In anthroposophy, on the other hand, the Aquarian Age is equated with the sixth “cultural epoch” of our “post-Atlantean time”, which begins around 1500 years ago.
Marilyn Ferguson published a major New Age publication in 1982 under the title The Gentle Conspiracy. Personal and social transformation in the Age of Aquarius, with a foreword by Fritjof Capra , which was widely used.
The fashion designer Paco Rabanne is one of the more prominent followers of the era of the Aquarian Age .
Astronomy and astrology
Astronomically, the tropical zodiac begins at the point of spring , when the zodiac sign Aries begins and the zodiac sign Pisces ends. From there the zodiac is divided into twelve arcs or sections of 30 °, the twelve signs of the zodiac. In western astrology, for example, the beginning of the zodiac with the zodiac sign Aries is supposed to provide a kind of initial ignition energy for everything that wants to become very concrete and assert itself anew. Analog now had in the past Piscean Age , during which time the vernal equinox was moving through the Ekliptiksternbild fish, such as the spiritual impulses of compassion and redemption to be effective, so the idea behind the formula of the Aquarian Age.
From an astronomical point of view, it should be noted that the duration of the migration of the vernal equinox through an ecliptic constellation would not be 2000, but around 2160 years if the constellations on the ecliptic were 30 ° long, which they are not. A period of 2000 years would therefore correspond to a constellation that encompassed approximately 28 ° of the ecliptic instead of the generally assumed 30 ° . However, the constellation Pisces occupies around 37 ° of the ecliptic, while the constellation Aries occupies only about 24 °. In this context, the Piscean Age would have begun with the entry of the vernal equinox into the astronomical constellation Pisces about 100 years before the turn of the times , although the ecliptic constellations sometimes do not have such an exact 'beginning'; According to the size of the constellation Pisces, the Aquarian Age would not begin until around the year 2600, since the Piscean Age would extend over almost 2700 years.
If, on the other hand, the ecliptic constellations are divided into 'signs' of the same length, as in Vedic astrology , in which every sidereal sign, like a zodiac sign, is 30 ° long, the sidereal 0 ° Aries point is almost exactly 180 ° opposite Spica , that means in 2010 at 24 ° in the - tropical - zodiac sign Aries in the astrological zodiac. Due to the precession , this sidereal 0 ° Aries point will arrive on the ecliptic at 0 ° Taurus in about 6 × 72 years and will therefore be exactly 30 ° from the vernal equinox, to which the (aligned) constellation Aquarius will then move. According to this, the Age of Aquarius should begin around the year 2442, but the Piscean Age could not have started with the birth of Christ, but only around the year 282.
For Rudolf Steiner , the age of fish began around 1413; the Age of Aquarius comes 2,160 years ( i.e. one twelfth of the Platonic World Year ) later, i.e. around the year 3573. According to the anthroposophical astrologer Gisela Gorrissen, the astronomical age change dates back to 2200, but the actual cultural epoch of Aquarius - the "Johannine Age of Brotherly Love "(After the sixth church" Philadelphia "of the Seven Epistles in the Revelation of John ) - begins due to the necessary evolution of consciousness only about 1400 years later. Because there is also an overlap area of around 200 years between the two images of the zodiac Pisces and Aquarius, many other astrologers would start the corresponding beginning of the astronomical change of age before the year 2000.
The musical Hair , which premiered in 1968 , already refers to it in the first song (Aquarius) with the refrain "This is the dawning of the Age of Aquarius" (German: "This is the beginning of the age of Aquarius "). However, the text deals with the topic very freely: When the moon is in the 7th house, and Jupiter aligns with Mars, then peace will guide the planets… (“if the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns itself with Mars, then will peace rule the planets ”). But this again has nothing to do with the vernal equinox or the Aquarian Age itself.
- Hans Künkel : The big year. The myth of the world ages . Diederichs, Jena 1922; Urania, Waakirchen 1980, ISBN 3-921960-06-1
- Alfons Rosenberg : Breakthrough to the future. Man in the Age of Aquarius . Barth, Munich-Planegg 1958; Turm, Bietigheim 1971, ISBN 3-7999-0186-8
- Karl Otto Schmidt : The cosmic way of humanity and the age of Aquarius . Drei Eichen, Munich 1971, ISBN 3-7699-0496-6
- Paco Rabanne: The end of our time. Departure into the Aquarian Age. Prophecies of the New Nostradamus . Herbig, Munich 1994, ISBN 3-7766-1845-0
- Omraam Mikhaël Aivanhov : Aquarius and the golden age . Prosveta, Fréjus 1997, ISBN 3-89515-030-4 (complete works, volume 25/26)
- Gisela Gorissen: Astrosophy of the zodiac and the planets . Man in the field of tension between cosmos and earth. Urachhaus, Stuttgart 2001, ISBN 3-8251-7254-6
- Peter Ripota: The Birth of the Aquarian Age . Semitarius, Taunusstein 2014, ISBN 978-3-945248-10-2
- Arthur Schult: Astrosophy. Teaching classical astrology. 5th edition. tape 1 . Turm Verlag, Bietigheim 1994, ISBN 3-7999-0204-X , p. 171 .
- Wolfgang Peter: Age of Aquarius. In: Anthrowiki. Wolfgang Peter, 2019, accessed on July 2, 2020 .
- Sphinx-Verlag, Basel 1982
- Paco Rabanne: The end of our time , Munich 1996, p. 215f
- See also the explanations under root race .