Wilhelm Bernhard Trommsdorff
The son of the Electoral Mainz garrison pharmacist Wilhelm Hieronymus Trommsdorff (1708–1768), owner of the Schwan pharmacy in Erfurt since 1734, and Catharina Christiana von Gerstenberg (1714–1762) was born on June 17, 1738 in the Protestant merchant church (Erfurt) baptized. First he attended the merchant school in Erfurt, from 1753 the Evangelical Ratsgymnasium. In 1756 he enrolled at the high school, today's University of Erfurt . He then continued his medical studies at the University of Göttingen .
After the death of his father in 1768, Trommsdorff took over his pharmacy in Erfurt. However, since he was later unduly taken up by his work as personal physician of the Electorate Mainz governor of Erfurt Karl Theodor von Dalberg as well as as a general practitioner and university professor, he transferred the management of the pharmacy provisional , the most important of which in 1781/1782 was the later Halle university professor Friedrich Albrecht Carl Gren (1760-1798) was.
Trommsdorff had been a member of the Erfurt Academy since October 17, 1767, and professor of medicine and chemistry at the University of Erfurt since 1768. On October 10, 1772 he was accepted into the Leopoldina . Trommsdorff's students at the University of Erfurt include: a. Sigismund Friedrich Hermbstädt (1760–1833).
He is the author of several pharmaceutical works.
Trommsdorff died of a protracted illness at the age of 43.
- Dissertatio inavgvralis medico-chemica De oleis vegetabilivm essentialibvs eorvmqve partibvs constitvtivis , Verlag Nonnius, 1765
- Wilhelmvs Bernhardvs Trommsdorff ... ad avdiendas praelectiones medicas officiose invitat hacqve occasione De sale mirabili glavberi commentatvr , Verlag Nonnius, 1771
- H. Ludwig: Archives of Pharmacy , 1871, page 109
- Otto Zekert: Famous Pharmacists , page 103, Deutscher Apotheker-Verlag, 1955
- S. Nawroth: Wilhelm Bernhard Trommsdorff (1738-1782) and the "Academy of Useful Sciences" in Erfurt , medical diploma thesis, Erfurt 1984
- Johann Christian Poggendorff: Biographical-literary concise dictionary for the history of exact science , Ed .: BW Feddersen u. a., Volume 2 (MZ), Page 1136, Verlag Johann Ambrosius Barth, Leipzig 1863 ( digitized version )
- Leopoldina , Ed .: Deutsche Akademie der Naturforscher Leopoldina, 1975, page 181f. ( Extracts )
- Leopoldina , Ed .: Deutsche Akademie der Naturforscher Leopoldina, 1975, page 193/194 ( excerpts )
- Member by Wilhelm Bernhard Trommsdorff at the German Academy of Natural Scientists Leopoldina , accessed on June 18, 2016.
- Contributions to the history of universities and science in Erfurt , page 109, Ed .: Medical Academy Erfurt, Erfurt 1985, ISBN 3335000951 and ISBN 9783335000952 .
- Ulrich Joost (Ed.): Georg Christoph Lichtenberg. Correspondence , Volume 1, Page 551, Academy of Sciences Göttingen, Verlag CH Beck, 2004, ISBN 3406309607 or ISBN 9783406309601 ( digital copy )
- Johann Georg Meusel: Lexicon of the German writers who died from 1750 to 1800 , Volume 14, Page 154, Verlag Gerhard Fleischer d. J., Leipzig 1815 ( digitized version )
- Mitteldeutsche Lebensbilder , Ed .: Historical Commission for the Province of Saxony and for Anhalt, 1928, page 271/272 ( excerpt )
|SURNAME||Trommsdorff, Wilhelm Bernhard|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German physician, chemist and botanist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 16, 1738|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Erfurt|
|DATE OF DEATH||May 6, 1782|
|Place of death||Erfurt|