Winfried Stelzer studied history, English, anthropology, art history and folklore at the University of Graz . In 1967 he received his doctorate in Graz under Hermann Wiesflecker with a thesis on the relationship between King Maximilian I and the Roman Curia. He then completed the 51st training course at the Institute for Austrian Historical Research in Vienna (1965–1968). His teachers were mainly Alfons Lhotsky and Heinrich Fichtenau . Since 1969 he has been a university assistant at the University of Vienna . His habilitation took place in Vienna in 1980 with the thesis Studies on the Early Reception of Taught Law in Austria . In the winter semester 1981/82 he was visiting professor in Innsbruck. In 1983 he succeeded Fichtenau and until his retirement in 2009 taught medieval history and historical auxiliary sciences at the University of Vienna as a full professor. Stelzer is a member of the Institute for Austrian Historical Research .
His research focuses on the history of education, late medieval historiography and source studies, palaeography and manuscript studies, the early days of scholarly law in today's Austria 12th to 15th centuries, the writing and book system of the Middle Ages, the history of mentality (national awareness), jurisprudence at the University of Vienna until 1500.
- Scholarly law in Austria. From the beginnings to the early 14th century (= communications from the Institute for Austrian Historical Research. Supplementary volume 26). Böhlau, Vienna et al. 1982, ISBN 3-205-08413-6 (also: Vienna, University, habilitation paper, 1980).
- Gustav Pfeifer (Ed.): Manuscripts, Historiography and Law. Winfried Stelzer on his 60th birthday (= communications from the Institute for Austrian Historical Research. Supplementary volume 42). Oldenbourg, Munich et al. 2002, ISBN 3-7029-0460-3 .
- Ernst Zehetbauer: Historical research and archive studies. The Institute for Austrian Historical Research and the scientific training of archivists in Austria . tredition, Hamburg 2014, ISBN 978-3-8495-7660-8 .
- Literature by and about Winfried Stelzer in the catalog of the German National Library
- Page from Stelzer at the University of Vienna
- Publications by Winfried Stelzer in the Opac of the Regesta Imperii
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 7, 1942|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Graz|