Vissarion Grigoryevich Belinsky
Vissarion Belinsky ( Russian Виссарион Григорьевич Белинский , scientific transliteration. Vissarion Belinsky Grigor'evic * May the 30th . Jul / 11. June 1811 greg. In Suomenlinna in Helsinki , † May 26 jul. / 7. June 1848 greg. In Saint Petersburg ) was a Russian literary critic, publicist , linguist and philosopher .
He was born in 1811 as the son of a military doctor. 1829-1832 he attended the Lomonossow University in Moscow , which he ultimately had to leave because of "lack of talent". The real reason was his romantic drama Dimitri Kalinin , in which he criticized serfdom .
He then began his journalistic activities in the Moscow Journal Telescope . In 1836 the magazine was banned by the tsar and the editorial office closed. The editor went into exile ; Belinski had to endure a search .
In 1837 he had his tuberculosis treated in Pyatigorsk ; During this time he made the acquaintance of Lermontow . Two years later he settled in Saint Petersburg, where he was the leading author of the influential literary magazine Otetschestwennye Sapiski ( Notes of the Fatherland ) until 1846 . In 1842 he supported Gogol in printing the novel The Dead Souls, which was banned by imperial censorship . In the following year he married Maria Wassiljewna Orlowa; from this marriage there were three children. In the early 1940s he was Russia's most important literary critic. The career of Dostoevsky began with a positive review Belinsky. Dostoyevsky described the meeting of the two very graphically in the January 1877 edition of his writer's diary .
In 1847 he spent time abroad in Berlin and Bad Salzbrunn to treat his illness. Belinsky died a year later after suffering for a long time and was buried in the Wolkowo Cemetery (section "Literary Bridges"). Mention of his name was banned in the Russian press until 1856.
On the occasion of Belinski's 150th birthday, the Russian medalist N. Sokolow created a bronze commemorative medal in 1961 . This was minted in the Leningrad Mint and shows the portrait of Belinsky in side view on the front. One copy of the medal is in the collection of the German Historical Museum
- Gerhard Ziegengeist: Belinski. A reader for our time , Thüringer Volksverlag Weimar 1953
- Literature by and about Wissarion Grigorjewitsch Belinsky in the catalog of the German National Library
- Biography ( Memento of January 8, 2015 in the Internet Archive ) (in English)
- Белинский Виссарион Григорьевич , article in the Новая философская энциклопедия (new philosophical encyclopedia) of the Philosophical Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences (russ.)
- Earlier publications by Wissarion Grigorjewitsch Belinski were digitized in German
- Dhm.de - Database Accessed on January 20, 2017
- German Historical Museum - inventory number. N 87/242
|SURNAME||Belinsky, Wissarion Grigoryevich|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Russian literary critic, publicist, linguist and philosopher|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 11, 1811|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Sveaborg near Helsinki|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 7, 1848|
|Place of death||St. Petersburg|