Wolfgang Hempel (archivist)
After various humanities studies (history, German, economics, economic and social history, history, sociology, politics) in Bonn, Münster and Stuttgart without a degree and a commercial apprenticeship in Düsseldorf with a degree, Hempel worked as a businessman in Germany and Italy between 1958 and 1966 .
In 1967 he switched to Südwestfunk in Baden-Baden and started working as a freelancer in the historical archive. From 1970 he reorganized the entire SWF archive. He completely rebuilt what would later become the main department for Documentation and Archives , was one of the first to install computers in the archive and had academic staff trained as scientific documentaries who became documentation editors at Südwestfunk. This new occupation combined specific skills that are needed in radio and media archives in order to optimally store material, to develop it and to find it again for the needs of the editors. The postgraduate training takes place as part of a two-year traineeship after successfully completing a university degree. Part of the training until 1991 was a visit to the Institute for Documentation (LID) of the DGD in Frankfurt am Main , and from 1992 to the newly founded Institute for Information and Documentation (IID) at the Potsdam University of Applied Sciences . At this institute, the prospective academic documentaries learn their tools of the trade, based on a degree in the humanities, in connection with extensive internships in media companies.
In 1995 Hempel was made an honorary member of the German Society for Information Science and Information Practice eV DGD.
In addition to his work as head of department at the SWF (since 1988), Hempel held a teaching position for archives, documentation and research in the broadcasting corporations in Faculty 22 of the University of Münster from 1982 to 1986 .
He was a founding member of the 1968 at the suggestion of Prof. Dr. Wilhelm Treue founded the study group for broadcasting and history , of which he was a member of the board, first as an assessor and later until 1999 as treasurer.
Since 1968 he has been a member of the FDP and the trade union responsible for media (now VERDI).
In 1996 Hempel retired at the age of 65.
From 1996 to 2005 he was honorary deputy director of the Moses Mendelssohn Center Potsdam , from 2006 to 2016 he was a member of the board of trustees of the Moses Mendelssohn Center. From 2001 to 2004 he was a member of the board of the foundations Jugendburg Ludwigstein and Archives of the German Youth Movement in Witzenhausen (archivist). From 2001 to 2015 Hempel was a member of the Board of Trustees of the Moses Mendelssohn Academy Halberstadt; from 1997 until its dissolution member of the board of the Gesellschaft für Geistesgeschichte eV
On his 65th birthday, Wolfgang Hempel was made an honorary senator of the Potsdam University of Applied Sciences in 1996. In 2001, on his seventieth birthday, he became the first honorary professor in the state of Brandenburg. On June 13, 2008, the Brandenburg Prime Minister Matthias Platzeck awarded him the Order of Merit of the State of Brandenburg .
- Botho Brachmann , Helmut Knüppel, Joachim F. Leonhard , Julius H. Schoeps (eds.): The art of networking. Festschrift for Wolfgang Hempel . Verlag für Berlin-Brandenburg , Potsdam 2006, ISBN 978-3-86650-344-1 .
- Meino Naumann (Ed.): But in the evening we invite each other. A mosaic for Wolfgang Hempel for his seventieth birthday . With illustrations by Dieter M. Weidenbach. Verlag für Berlin-Brandenburg, Potsdam 2001, ISBN 3-935035-27-6 .
- Institute for Information and Documentation at the Potsdam University of Applied Sciences
- Wilhelm Fraenger Society eV and Wilhelm Fraenger Institute gGmbH Potsdam
- Wilhelm Fraenger Institute gGmbH Berlin
- Moses Mendelssohn Center Potsdam
- Moses Mendelssohn Academy Halberstadt Foundation
- Society for Intellectual History eV Potsdam
- German Society for Information Science and Information Practice eV
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German archive and documentation manager|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 14, 1931|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Minden|