Agnes of Hesse
Agnes von Hessen (born May 31, 1527 in Marburg , † November 4, 1555 in Weimar ) was Electress of Saxony .
Agnes, daughter of Landgrave Philipp von Hessen and his first wife Christine von Sachsen , was with Erich Ii. von Braunschweig-Calenberg , who dissolved the engagement in 1543. Instead, she married the Duke and later Elector Moritz of Saxony on January 9, 1544 . Their marriage resulted in two children: Anna von Sachsen (* December 23, 1544; † December 18, 1577) and Albrecht (* November 28, 1545; † April 12, 1546). The marriage of the two was not arranged, but rather managed by Moritz and Agnes themselves, which was extremely unusual at the time. The letters that have been preserved document the lasting friendship and mutual trust of the couple. Agnes was also informed of her husband's political plans. After the death of her mother Christine in 1549, she tried very hard to bring up her younger siblings.
Elector Moritz died on July 9, 1553 as a result of his wounding in the battle of Sievershausen . His widow Agnes was married to Duke Johann Friedrich II of Saxony on May 26, 1555 , but was already in poor health at that time and died six months later as a result of a miscarriage. In the choir of the Church of St. Peter and Paul in Weimar , however, an unknown author accuses him of poisoning. The actual cause of death can only be speculated at the moment. The fact that Agnes von Hessen was married into the rival prince dynasty speaks for a murder. Therefore, the Albertines or individual family members may have feared that Agnes might carry secrets into the warring Ernestine camp .
- Hans-Joachim Böttcher : Princess Anna of Saxony 1544–1577 - A life tragedy , Dresden 2013, ISBN 978-3-941757-39-4 .
- Political correspondence of Duke and Elector Moritz of Saxony, 6 vols., Berlin 1902–2006
- Kerstin Schiefner: Agnes, Electress of Saxony (1527–1555) . In: Institute for Saxon History and Folklore (Ed.): Saxon Biography .
- Saxony, Duchess Agnes and Electress of. Hessian biography. (As of February 5, 2020). In: Landesgeschichtliches Informationssystem Hessen (LAGIS).
- ↑ Karl Braun: Was the Electress murdered? In: Thüringische Landeszeitung , April 28, 2009, p. 2 (report on the thematic city tour of Weimar with Dieter Kunkel: "Criminal cases and difficult fates" from April 25, 2009 in the city church of St. Peter and Paul in Weimar ).
Duchess of Saxony
|merged into the new Electorate of Saxony|
|Sibylle von Jülich-Kleve-Berg||
Electress of Saxony
|Anna of Denmark and Norway|
|SURNAME||Agnes of Hesse|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German nobles, by marriage Electress of Saxony|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 31, 1527|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Marburg|
|DATE OF DEATH||November 4, 1555|
|Place of death||Weimar|