In 1990 he joined the Federal Armed Forces administration as a civil servant and worked until 1994 in the Federal Office for Defense Technology and Procurement , the predecessor of the Federal Office for Equipment, Information Technology and Use of the Federal Armed Forces , where he was primarily responsible for cooperation with other countries. Until 1998 he worked as a deputy defense technology attaché in the German embassy in Paris . He then served as an exchange officer in the French Defense Ministry in the Délégation Générale pour l'Armement (DGA) department until 1999 . From 1999 to 2004 he initially served as a speaker and later as office manager in the Federal Ministry of Defense (BMVg). From 2004 as managing officer in the armaments department and from 2006 as head of the armaments department. On October 1, 2007, he became General Manager of the European Defense Agency , replacing his British predecessor Nick Witney . From January 1, 2011 to March 31, 2012, Weis was head of the newly established sub-department IV of the personnel, social and central affairs department in the Federal Ministry of Defense and from April 1, 2012 he headed sub-department II of the politics department. He later became deputy head of the political department. In mid-2015 he went to the Royal College of Defense Studies in London before taking on his current post as Deputy Head of the Bundeswehr Planning Office.
- Álvaro de Vasconcelos (Ed.): What ambitions for European defense in 2020. Paris 2009 (Chapter: Alexander Weis, Improving capabilities for ESDP's future needs, pp. 107–115) ( full text download from the EU Institute for Security Studies ; PDF; 1, 9 MB)
- Planning Office of the Bundeswehr - a portrait. In: Association of Reservists of the German Armed Forces . July 17, 2018, accessed March 31, 2020 .
- Weis becomes General Manager of the EDA , In: bundeswehr.de of May 24, 2007, accessed on May 26, 2015.
- BMVg press release from December 2, 2010
- Thomas Wiegold : Back of chairs in the Ministry of Defense: Major renovation at the top. In: augengeradeaus.net. July 9, 2015, accessed March 31, 2020 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German civil servant|
|DATE OF BIRTH||4th October 1959|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Elschbach|