|American Megatrends Inc.
|Seat||Norcross , Georgia , United States|
|management||Subramonian Shankar (President)|
American Megatrends Inc. ( AMI ) is an American manufacturer of computer hardware and software . AMI is particularly known for its AMI BIOS . The company was founded in 1985 by Pat Sarma and S. Shankar. The company is headquartered in Norcross, Georgia .
The company began as a manufacturer of motherboards (motherboard) for x86 -based systems, positioning its products in the high-end segment. The first customer was the then PCs Ltd, which later renamed itself to Dell Computers .
In the following years, AMI gradually relocated hardware and mainboard production to Taiwan, to the ODM manufacturers founded there . AMI used its already strong customer base and successfully concentrated on BIOS programming and the sale of these products. Soon practically all known motherboard manufacturers were among the company's customers. In addition to the focus on BIOS development, the development of other areas began. From 1992 this includes motherboards for servers, storage controllers were added in 1995 and from 1998 additional cards for remote management.
The MegaRAID - RAID controllers developed from 1996 onwards are among the most successful products from AMI . A function for online expansion of the configured RAID volumes, newly introduced in hardware RAID, helped the MegaRAID systems to achieve considerable market success after a short period of time. Many OEMs such as Hewlett-Packard or Dell became customers and ensured good quantities. AMI separated from its RAID division in 2001 and sold this product area to LSI Logic .
Today AMI is a technology company focused on doing business with OEM customers. The current product lines include the AMIBIOS (a BIOS), Aptio (a successor to the AMIBIOS8 according to the UEFI standard), hardware diagnostic software, firmware for remote access, motherboards, SGPIO backplane controllers, NAS and SAN - Storage systems, as well as other products and services.
- People's Republic of China : Kunshan , Jiangsu
- Germany : Munich
- India : Chennai , Tamil Nadu
- Japan : Chiyoda , Tokyo
- South Korea : Seoul
- Taiwan : Taipei
- USA: Fremont (California)
- American Megatrends Corporate Profile
- The company ( Memento of the original from May 14, 2016 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Jacobs, Daniel G. “ Business revolutionary .” Smart Business . July 2004. Retrieved July 31, 2016.
- " American Megatrends Inc. to Sell Industry-Leading RAID Business to LSI Logic. “ Business Wire . May 29, 2001. Retrieved May 5, 2009.
- " International Offices ." American Megatrends . Retrieved May 6, 2009.