|Location of Fremont in Alameda County|
|State :||United States|
|County :||Alameda County|
|Coordinates :||37 ° 32 ′ N , 121 ° 59 ′ W|
|Time zone :||Pacific ( UTC − 8 / −7 )|
|Residents :||233,136 (as of 2016)|
|Population density :||1,173.9 inhabitants per km 2|
|Area :||225.6 km 2 (approx. 87 mi 2 ) of
which 198.6 km 2 (approx. 77 mi 2 ) is land
|Height :||17 m|
|Postcodes :||94536, 94537, 94538, 94539, 94555|
|Area code :||+1 510|
|GNIS ID :||0277521|
|Mayor :||Lily Mei|
Fremont [ ˈfriːmɒnt ] is a city in Alameda County in the US state of California , United States . The city is located in the southeast of the San Francisco Bay between San José and Oakland . It was named after John Charles Frémont , an American explorer and politician. The city was founded on January 23, 1956 by amalgamating the Mission San Jose, Irvington, Niles, Centerville, and Warm Springs parishes.
Fremont has 233,136 inhabitants (2016) and belongs to the metropolitan area of San Francisco with approx. 4.7 million inhabitants.
Traditional history begins in 1797 with the founding of Mission San Jose near an Ohlone village .
Fremont is part of Silicon Valley and is home to Lam Research , Silicon Graphics International , S3 Graphics , Synnex , Tesla Inc. and Volterra Semiconductor, among others . The former NUMMI vehicle plant is also located in Fremont. It is now used by Tesla Motors.
Most important employers
According to the 2011 annual Fremont City Financial Report, the city's main employers are:
|space||employer||number of employees|
|1||Fremont Unified School District||3000|
|8th||City of Fremont||848|
|9||DMS Facility Services||800|
Fremont is served by Interstate 680 (Nimitz Freeway) and Interstate 880 (Sinclair Freeway). It is also connected to the BART local transport system .
- Mission San Jose de Guadalupe (built 1809)
- Museum at Coyote Hills, a natural history museum
- Niles Canyon Railway , a scenic railway line
- Coyote Hills Regional Park, nature reserve or park
- A tiny older town center on Niles Boulevard in the Niles District
sons and daughters of the town
- Adolf T. Schneider (* 1961), entrepreneur, reserve staff officer and local researcher
- Kristi Yamaguchi (* 1971), figure skater
- Len Wiseman (born 1973), director
- Steven Joseph Lopes (* 1975), Catholic bishop
- Pat Tillman (1976-2004), football player and soldier
- Ryan Sinn (* 1979), bassist
- Ariel Hsing (* 1995), table tennis player
- Hilda Huang (* 1996), pianist
Fremont is twinned with the following cities:
Former twin cities
- Elizabeth , Australia
- ↑ California / California (USA): State, Cities & Places - Population Statistics, Maps, Charts, Weather and Web Information. Retrieved February 21, 2018 .
- ↑ City of Fremont, California Comprehensive Annual Financial Report, for the Year ended June 30, 2010 . Retrieved April 3, 2012.
- ↑ Georg Weishaupt: Solyndra files for bankruptcy : Solar companies go bankrupt in a row. In: handelsblatt.com . September 2, 2011, accessed April 14, 2018 .