Ares J. Rosakis
Rosakis earned both a bachelor's and master's degree in engineering from Oxford University in 1978 . In 1980 another master’s degree followed and in 1982 a Ph.D. at Brown University . In the same year he received his first professorship (assistant professor) at Caltech, in 1988 he became an associate professor , and in 1993 he was given a full professorship. Since 2004 he has been Professor of Aeronautics and Mechanical Engineering, succeeding Wolfgang Knauss Theodore von Kármán . Visiting professorships led him to the École normal supérieure (Paris) and Oxford University.
Rosakis recognized as a leader in the area of dynamic material failure solid materials, composite materials and compounds. Using high-speed photography , real-time measurements of temperature fields close to dynamically developing cracks and adiabatic shear bands, as well as newly developed optical and dynamic infrared methods, he investigates ductile fractures . He is considered the inventor of Coherent Gradient Sensing Interferometry (CGS interferometry). Further work deals with cracks in heterogeneous materials and composite materials, especially under shear conditions, with the crack mechanics of earthquakes , with the reliability of thin films and with in-situ measurement technology at the wafer level.
Rosakis has (as of July 2018) an h-index of 60. He has both Greek and US citizenship.
Awards and memberships (selection)
- 1985 Presidential Young Investigator Award of the National Science Foundation (NSF)
- 2009 member of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences
- 2011 AC Eringen Medal of the Society of Engineering Science (SES)
- 2011 Member of the National Academy of Engineering (NAE)
- 2012 Ordre des Palmes Académiques ( Commander )
- 2013 member of the European Academy of Sciences and Arts
- 2014 member of the Academia Europaea
- 2016 Von Karman Medal from the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- 2016 Member of the National Academy of Sciences (NAS)
- 2017 Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- 2018 Tymoshenko Medal from the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- with K. Ravi-Chandar: On crack-tip stress state: an experimental evaluation of three-dimensional effects, International Journal of Solids and Structures, Volume 22, 1986, pp. 121-134
- Editor with K. Ravi-Chanda: Analytical, numerical, and experimental Aspects of three dimensional fracture processes, ASME 1988
- Editor with WG Knauss: Non-linear fracture: contributions to an international Symposium, 4 volumes, Kluwer 1990
- Editor with HP Rosmanith: Dynamic Failure of Materials: Theory, Experiments and Numerics, Elsevier Applied Science 1991
- with HA Bruck, T. Christman, WL Johnson: Quasi-static constitutive behavior of bulk amorphous alloys, Scripta Metallurgica et Materialia, Volume 30, 1994, pp. 429-434
- with HA Bruck, WL Johnson: The dynamic compressive behavior of beryllium bearing bulk metallic glasses, Journal of Materials Research, Volume 11, 1996, pp. 503-511
- with O. Samudrala, D. Coker: Cracks faster than the shear wave speed, Science, Volume 284, 1999, pp. 1337-1340
- with P. Rosakis, G. Ravichandran, J. Hodowany: A thermodynamic internal variable model for the partition of plastic work into heat and stored energy in metals, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, Volume 48, 2000, p. 581– 607
- with J. Hodowany, G. Ravichandran, P. Rosakis: Partition of plastic work into heat and stored energy in metals, Experimental mechanics, Volume 40, 2000, pp. 113-123
- with Michel Bouchon, Marie-Paule Bouin, Hayrullah Karabulut, M. Nafi Toksöz, Michel Dietrich: How fast is rupture during an earthquake? New insights from the 1999 Turkey earthquakes, Geophysical Research Letters, Volume 28, 2001, pp. 2723-2726
- with K. Xia, H. Kanamori: Laboratory earthquakes: The sub-Rayleigh-to-supershear rupture transition, Science, Volume 303, 2004, pp. 1859-1861
- Website and CV (PDF, 667 kB) at the California Institute of Technology (caltech.edu)
- Biographical sketch at the Academia Europaea (ae-info.org)
- Άρης Ροζάκης - Καθηγητής Αεροναυτικής. In: ellines.com. Retrieved July 8, 2018 (Greek).
- Ares Rosakis - Google Scholar Citations. In: scholar.google.de. Retrieved July 8, 2018 .
- Book of Members 1780 – present, Chapter R. (PDF; 508 kB) In: American Academy of Arts and Sciences (amacad.org). Accessed July 8, 2018 .
- SES Medalists - Society of Engineering Science Inc. In: ses.egr.uh.edu. Accessed July 8, 2018 .
- Professor Ares J. Rosakis. In: nae.edu. Retrieved July 8, 2018 .
- Ilire Hasani, Robert Hoffmann: Academy of Europe: Rosakis Ares. In: ae-info.org. February 2, 2018, accessed July 8, 2018 .
- Theodore von Karman Medal - Past Award Winners. In: asce.org. Retrieved July 8, 2018 .
- Ares Rosakis. In: nasonline.org. Retrieved July 8, 2018 .
- Timoshenko Medal. In: asme.org. Retrieved July 8, 2018 .
|SURNAME||Rosakis, Ares J.|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Rosakis, Ares; Ροζάκις, Άρης|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Greek-American engineer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 12, 1956|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Athens|