National Science Foundation
|National Science Foundation
|Seat of the wearer:||Arlington County ( Virginia )|
|Management:||France A. Córdova , Director|
The National Science Foundation ( NSF ) is an independent agency of the United States government headquartered in Arlington , Virginia , whose mission is to provide financial support for research and education in all fields of science except medicine . It was founded on May 10, 1950 . With an annual budget of approximately $ 6.9 billion (2010), it represents 20 percent of the total US government grants for basic research at universities. In some areas such as math , computer science , economics, and social sciences , the NSF is the main source of third party research. The NSF receives around 40,000 project applications each year, around 10,000 of which are funded. France A. Córdova has been running NSF since March 2013 .
The NSF is organized into seven directorates:
- Biological Sciences ( molecular biology , cell biology and organic biology , environmental sciences )
- Computer and Information Science and Engineering (Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence )
- Engineering ( biotechnology , ecology , infrastructure , chemistry , transportation, electrical engineering, communications engineering , industrial development and production)
- Geosciences ( geology , meteorology and marine sciences )
- Mathematical and Physical Sciences (mathematics, astronomy , physics , chemistry and materials science )
- Social, Behavioral and Economic Sciences ( neurology , psychology , social sciences, anthropology and economics)
- Education and Human Resources ( science education and mathematics education for all ages)
Other US national research funding agencies are the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) and the National Institutes of Health (NIH). In the military field, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) is important.
Similar institutions are the German Research Foundation , the Swiss National Science Foundation and the British Royal Academy of Engineering .
- Website of the NSF (English)
- ↑ www.nsf.gov About (section "NSF AT A GLANCE"). Accessed September 7, 2011.
- ↑ AIBS news, August 2001 (PDF)
- ^ Biography of the director of the NSF , accessed on January 23, 2017.
- ↑ www.nsf.gov NSF Organization List. Accessed September 7, 2011.