Lord Augustus FitzClarence (March 1, 1805 - June 14, 1854 ), was the youngest illegitimate son of William, Duke of Clarence and St Andrews , who later became King William IV , and his long-time mistress Dorothea Jordan and a British clergyman.
After his parents separated in 1811, he had little contact with his mother. In 1829 Augustus was appointed chaplain to his father, the Duke of Clarence, and later that year as Vicar of Mapledurham , Oxfordshire, successor to John Sumner , later Bishop of Chester and Archbishop of Canterbury. In 1830 his father became king. He was a great benefactor of the Church and the parish. Among other things, the watch bears his initials.
On May 24, 1831, he gave Augustus and his siblings the rank of younger children of marquess. He was also appointed chaplain to Queen Adelheid in 1832 . He studied at Trinity College, Cambridge , graduating June 2, 1832 as an LL.B. and on July 6, 1838 as LL.D. from.
On January 2, 1845, he married Sarah Elizabeth Catharine Gordon (December 26, 1827 - March 23, 1901), daughter of Major Lord Henry Gordon, brother of the 10th Marquess of Huntly. They had six children:
- Dorothea FitzClarence (October 27, 1845 - May 15, 1870), married Thomas William Goff
- Eva FitzClarence (January 1, 1847 - March 2, 1918), twin with Beatrice
- Beatrice FitzClarence (January 1, 1847 - March 18, 1909), twin of Eva
- Augustus FitzClarence (February 13, 1849 - October 16, 1861)
- Henry Edward FitzClarence (January 19, 1853 - February 19, 1930), married Mary Isabel Templer Parsons
- Mary FitzClarence (September 1854 - March 14, 1858)
- George Newenham Wright, John Watkins: The Life and Reign of William the Fourth , Volume 2, appendix IV, p. 854 .
- Lord Augustus FitzClarence Obituary , The Gentleman's Magazine , 1854, p. 312.
- St. Margaret - Mapledurham: Brief History.Retrieved December 5, 2014
- Reverend Lord Augustus Fitz-Clarence in: thePeerage.com Retrieved December 5, 2014
- Miroslav Marek: Complete Genealogy of the House of Welf . genealogy.euweb.cz. Retrieved December 5, 2014.
- FitzClarence, Dorothea 1845-1870 in: genealogy.richardremme.com Retrieved December 5, 2014
- Bradford People: Clarence Goff in: Bradford on Avon Museum.Retrieved December 5, 2014
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||FitzClarence, Lord Augustus (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||youngest illegitimate son of King William IV and British clergyman|
|DATE OF BIRTH||March 1, 1805|
|DATE OF DEATH||June 14, 1854|