Bernhard III. (Lip)
Bernhard was born around 1194 as the son of nobleman Hermann II and Countess Oda von Tecklenburg . Bernhard succeeded his fallen father as regent of the House of Lippe in 1229 and called himself “by the grace of God” and at times “Count” since 1232.
1254–1256 he was administrator of the Paderborn monastery , was the actual founder of the territorial rule Lippe and gained important positions through the episcopal brother Simon I of Paderborn , so that he could reorganize the organization of the church with his help.
The cities of Horn and Blomberg were sponsored by him. He was in a feud with Lippstadt because he was not allowed to build a castle there. Bernhard III. also led feuds against the County of Ravensberg , the County of Sternberg and against the House of Waldeck . Through these frequent feuds, the Lippe family was severely weakened under his leadership.
Bernhard married Countess Sofie van Cuijck-Arnsberg (and von Rietberg; approx. 1210 to approx. 1245; heiress of the Rheda rule, daughter of Gottfried II. Von Arnsberg and von Rietberg and Elisabeth N), from whose marriage the children
- Bernhard IV. Zur Lippe (around 1230 - around 1275)
- Hermann III. zur Lippe (around 1233 - October 3, 1274)
- Hedwig zur Lippe (around 1238 - March 5, 1271), married to Count Otto III. from Ravensberg
- Gerhard zur Lippe, Provost of Bremen (around 1240–1259), was defeated in the Bremen collegiate feud against Hildebold von Wunstorf
- Dietrich zur Lippe, cathedral priest in Minden (around 1244 to after 1271)
Bernhard concluded his second marriage in 1248 with Countess Sophie von Ravensberg-Vechta (around 1220 until after June 3, 1285), daughter of Count Otto II von Ravensberg and Countess Sophie von Oldenburg . The following children were born from this marriage:
- Elisabeth zur Lippe (around 1250 to after 1316), married to Balduin II of Steinfurt
- Agnes zur Lippe (around 1251–1307), married to Hoyer I. von Sternberg
- Adelheid zur Lippe, married to Adolf I. von Schwalenberg
- Sophie zur Lippe (around 1249 - February 1, 1275), married to Albrecht I von Regenstein
- Arnold Berg: About the wives of the noble Bernhard III. to the lip. In: Norddeutsche Familienkunde Bd. 9, 1971, p. 49f.
Herr zur Lippe,
Lord of Rheda
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Bernhard III. to the lip|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Herr von Lippe|
|DATE OF BIRTH||around 1194|
|DATE OF DEATH||around 1265|