After graduating from the Albertus-Magnus-Gymnasium in Cologne , Jähnig studied history , German and philosophy at the University of Cologne and the Georg-August University of Göttingen from 1961 . In 1966 he passed the first state examination for the higher teaching post in Cologne. 1968 with a thesis on Hermann Heimpel he became 1968 in Goettingen the Dr. phil. PhD . In 1970 he passed the archival state examination at the Marburg Archive School . In 1970 he became archive assessor at the state archive in Bückeburg . Since 1971 archivist and archivist in the state archive warehouse in Göttingen , he was also responsible for the holdings of the historical state archive in Königsberg until 2006 . From 1979 to 2006 he worked in the Secret State Archive of Prussian Cultural Heritage . Since 1989 he has been teaching at the Friedrich Meinecke Institute at the Free University of Berlin . He has been an honorary professor since 2004 .
From 1995 to 2007 Jähnig was co-editor of the journal for East Central Europe research . From 1995 to 2010 he was chairman of the historical commission for East and West Prussian state research . Like his predecessor Udo Arnold , he is one of the great connoisseurs of the history of the Teutonic Order .
In 2015 he took over the chairmanship of the heraldic association HEROLD , which he already held between 2006 and 2012.
- Historical auxiliary sciences with a special focus on document theory
- Filing and palaeography
- National history
- Middle Ages (especially German orders in Prussia and Livonia)
- German medal
- Early modern scholarly and church history
- Courts and residences of the Teutonic Order in Prussia
- Offices and staff of the Teutonic Order in Prussia
- History of the Archdiocese of Riga
- Prussia's first provincial archive . Marburg 2006.
- Gdansk from the 15th to the 20th centuries . Marburg 2006.
- Church and world in the early modern era in Prussia . Marburg 2007.
- 750 years of Königsberg . Marburg 2008.
- Music and Literature in Early Modern Prussia . Marburg 2009.
- Udo Arnold (ed.): Prussian regional history. Festschrift for Bernhart Jähnig on his 60th birthday . Elwert, Marburg 2001, ISBN 3-7708-1177-1 (= individual publications of the Historical Commission for East and West Prussian State Research , Volume 22).
- Thesis: The Teutonic Order in the Political Power Play from Charles IV to the Kalmar Union .
- Dissertation: Johann von Wallenrode OT, Archbishop of Riga, Königl. Council., German order diplomat u. Bishop of Liège in the age of d. Schismas ad Constance Council (around 1370-1419) .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian and university professor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 7, 1941|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Klagenfurt|