Live and act
Cooper learned to play the clarinet in 1940 and tenor saxophone from 1941. He became known with Stan Kenton , with whom he was engaged as a saxophonist between 1945 and 1951. During this time he married the singer June Christy . As a member of the Lighthouse All Stars , he appeared between 1952 and 1962 with Shorty Rogers , Pete Rugolo , Bud Shank and Christy, but also with Jimmy Giuffre ; he was also involved in the recording of Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Cole Porter Songbook . In 1955 he was a founding member of the Shelly Manne & His Men formation .
With Bud Shank he went on a European tour in 1957 and 1958. a. performed with Attila Zoller , Albert Mangelsdorff and Gary Peacock . In 1959 he became a partner in the record label Lighthouse Music . He wrote a Music for Saxophones and Symphony Orchestra (1963) as well as film and television music. Since the mid-1960s, he earned his living as a studio musician, and later performed with the orchestras of Frank Capp and Nat Pierce and Bob Florence . He then worked again with Rogers and the Lighthouse All Stars . Cooper was the first jazz musician to convince on the oboe.
- Howard Rumsey ’s Lighthouse All Stars: Sunday A La Lighthouse, Vol. 2 (Contemporary, 1953)
- Shelly Manne & His Men: The West Coast Sound (Contemporary, 1955)
- Coop! The Music Of Bob Cooper (OJC, 1957) with Conte Candoli , Victor Feldman , Mel Lewis
- Milano Blues (Fresh Sound, 1957)
- For All We Know (Fresh Sound, 1990) with Monty Budwig , Lou Levy
- Bob Cooper, Bill Holman & Frank Rosolino - Kenton Presents Jazz (1954-61) . Mosaic , 1999 - 4 CDs with Bud Shank , Howard Roberts , Joe Mondragon , Shelly Manne , Claude Williamson , Curtis Counce , Stan Levey , Jimmy Giuffre , Bob Enevoldsen , Stu Williamson , Max Bennett , John Graas , Ralph Peña , Buddy Collette , Conte Candoli , Frank Rosolino, Pete Jolly , Al Viola , Mel Lewis , Jack Nimitz - rest of the collection at Bill Holman & Frank Rosolino
- Ian Carr , Digby Fairweather , Brian Priestley : Rough Guide Jazz. The ultimate guide to jazz. 1800 bands and artists from the beginning until today. 2nd, expanded and updated edition. Metzler, Stuttgart / Weimar 2004, ISBN 3-476-01892-X .
- Martin Kunzler : Jazz Lexicon. Volume 1: A – L (= rororo-Sachbuch. Vol. 16512). 2nd Edition. Rowohlt, Reinbek near Hamburg 2004, ISBN 3-499-16512-0 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Cooper, Robert|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American jazz musician and arranger|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 6, 1925|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania|
|DATE OF DEATH||5th August 1993|
|Place of death||Hollywood , California|