Broder Carstensen (born May 27, 1926 in Bredstedt ; † January 22, 1992 in Bad Lippspringe ) was a German linguist , lexicographer and literary scholar . The Anglicism dictionary he wrote is an important milestone in research into contemporary German and is one of the standard works of German lexicography . He was the founding rector of today's University of Paderborn .
Live and act
From 1945 to 1950 studied Carstensen English Studies , German Studies , Latin philology and pedagogy at the University of Kiel , where he in 1950 with the work of the young Tennyson Dr. phil. PhD. From 1958 to 1960 he worked as a private lecturer at the Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel and completed his habilitation in 1959 with the text Studies on the Syntax of Nouns, Pronouns and Negation in Paston Letters . Carstensen then took on professorships in English studies in the linguistic and literary studies department at various universities: 1960 to 1963 at the Philipps University of Marburg , 1963 to 1969 at the University of Hamburg , where he was dean from 1967 to 1968 . From 1969 to 1972 he was at the Johannes Gutenberg University in Mainz . Finally, from 1972 to 1976, he became the founding rector of the Paderborn University (today Paderborn University ).
From 1971 to 1980 he published "The Words of the Year" in a magazine of the Society for German Language. For this purpose, he evaluated media texts, collected fashion and catchwords as well as strange language creations and showed how these reflected the zeitgeist. From 1977 to 1992 Carstensen worked together with Ulrich Busse on his life's work, the research project Anglicisms Dictionary, which received international recognition. After his death in 1992, the standard work he had started by Ulrich Busse, Regina Schmude and Claus Gnutzmann was continued and published in three volumes from 1993 to 1996.
- German Society for American Studies (DGfA)
- Society for Applied Linguistics (GAL)
- Society for the German Language (GfdS)
- Dictionary Society of North America (DSNA)
- Societas Linguistica Europaea (SLE)
- A public path on the campus of Paderborn University is named after Carstensen.
- Studies on the syntax of nouns, pronouns and negation in the Paston Letters . Pöppinghaus, Bochum-Langendreer 1959.
- The "new" grammar and its practical application in English . Diesterweg, Frankfurt 1966.
- Mirror words, mirror words: the language of a German news magazine . Hueber, Munich 1971. DNB 456255176
- Taken at your word. Remarkable things in contemporary German . Narr, Tübingen 1986. ISBN 3-87808-748-9
- Broder Carstensen, Ulrich Busse: Anglicisms dictionary: the influence of English on German vocabulary after 1945 . 3 Vol., Walter de Gruyter, Berlin [u. a.] 1993ff. ISBN 3-11-012854-3
- Carstensen, Broder Helmut. Hessian biography. (As of May 5, 2020). In: Landesgeschichtliches Informationssystem Hessen (LAGIS).
- ↑ Carstensen, Broder Linguisten-Handbuch, Vol. 1. Accessed June 16, 2013.
- ↑ Broder Carstensen and his words of the year ( Memento from December 3, 2016 in the Internet Archive )
- ↑ Foreword to the first volume of the Anglizismen Dictionary Anglizismen Dictionary, Vol. 1. Retrieved on June 16, 2013.
- ^ Decision of the building committee of the city of Paderborn, 2003
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German linguist and university professor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 27, 1926|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Bredstedt|
|DATE OF DEATH||January 22, 1992|
|Place of death||Bad Lippspringe|