Casting (selection process)
The process of selecting actors , dancers , singers , photo models and other artists in the pre- production phase of productions (theater, opera, etc. ) is used as casting (from English to cast originally: fishing, fishing , now also = to provide someone for a role ) , Circus, concerts), film recordings ( cinema film , television film , advertising film , music video ), voice recordings ( radio play , station voice ) and photo recordings (catalog, magazines, posters). The term is now also used in connection with the selection of musicians for pop bands, for example in the context of talent competitions and talent shows. The auditioning , singing and dancing in the context of the casting is also called audition , especially auditioning for singers .
Casting in film and television
In the area of film and television production , casting directors make a pre-selection of the later cast with actors or other actors in front of the camera (e.g. TV presenters , voice actors ) , who then submit their suggestions to the respective directors and producers . As a rule, the casting director receives ideas on direction , production and editing (for television ) or direction, production and distribution (for film ) in advance .
A caster in advertising , on the other hand, has greater freedom to submit suggestions.
In the film, all the players as "occupation" (to be cast ), respectively. Casting is therefore nothing more than casting the roles that are provided for in a script . A number of the roles are named in the opening or closing credits , the extras , however, usually remain unnamed, but are also part of the cast.
The final decision on the cast is made after the audition of the shortlisted actors in the course of the casting. The placement of actors for the casting is mostly done through casting agencies .
The entirety of the final cast of actors in a project is referred to in the German- speaking world as an “ ensemble ” (theater) or “ cast ” (film / television) (regardless of whether the actor ultimately joined the cast through a casting or in some other way is).
During a model casting in a model agency, the measurements and suitability of the model are checked against the client base of the model agency. Furthermore, as a rule, at least digital files are created that show the model on the day of the casting. These images are usually created in blue jeans , medium-high, simple pumps and application-free tops. Unless otherwise briefed (instructed), the model appears discreetly made up .
When looking for suitable models for advertising or fashion shoots , model agencies take on the function of mediating between the client and the photo model . The appearance of the model after making an appointment through the model agency at the potential model customer is called Go See . The Go See is a hearing in which the model presents personally to the client and his credentials as the comp card and his Model Book ( Engl. Modelbook or lookbook ) brings, which is a selection of photographs includes the models from previous publications and productions.
- Ulrike Boldt: Casting for film, television and stage. Insights into the German casting industry and tips for a successful application, Henschel Verlag, 2010, ISBN 978-3-89487-598-5
- Ulrike Boldt: Audition at the drama school. Successful through the entrance exam . Henschel Verlag Berlin 2010, ISBN 978-3-89487-657-9
- Bernhard Pörksen , Wolfgang Krischke: The casting company. The addiction to attention and the media tribunal. Herbert von Halem Verlag, Cologne 2010, ISBN 978-3-86962-014-5 .
- Michael Shurtleff : Audition. Everything an Actor Needs to Know to Get the Part. Walker, New York 1978
- Literature on the subject of casting in the virtual library medien buehne film
- History of casting in Germany, presented by Bundesverband Casting e. V.
- 24 The knowledge portal of the German Film Academy: Casting
- 24 The knowledge portal of the German Film Academy. Glossary: Audition ( Memento of the original from August 9, 2009 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Casting director. In: BERUFENET. Federal Employment Agency , accessed on July 29, 2013 .
- ( Page no longer available , search in web archives: SHOWCAST Models: Wiki: Wiki for models and model agencies )
- Instyle Models: Lexicon: The big 1 by 1 of the model agencies ( Memento of the original from June 22nd, 2009 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and not yet checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- The society of excessive attention. In: FAZ. August 25, 2010, p. N 4.