|Cornelsen Verlag GmbH
|Number of employees||1300|
|sales||€ 260 million (2015)|
|Branch||Educational media, teaching, school|
The Cornelsen [ kɔrneːlzn̩ ] is a German educational publisher offering, the educational media in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Initially focused on the English language , the publishing house founded in Berlin in 1946 specialized in the development of school books . He now offers learning and teaching materials in different types of media. It is a company of the Franz Cornelsen Bildungsgruppe and operates under the name Cornelsen Verlag GmbH .
Cornelsen Verlag was founded in 1946 in Berlin by Franz Cornelsen and his wife Hildegard , the author of the English textbook Peter Pim and Billy Ball . Since the 1970s he has secured his position mainly by taking over competitors (Hirschgraben, W. Girardet, Schwann-Bagel, Kamp and, most recently, Oldenbourg ). After the fall of the Wall in 1989, Cornelsen also took over the Volk und Wissen Verlag , which was founded in Berlin and Leipzig in 1945 and in which almost all school books in the GDR were published. This was incorporated into the Cornelsen publishing group in 1991; Since January 1st, 2004 the employees of both publishers have been working together in Berlin-Wilmersdorf. In 2011 Cornelsen Verlag was merged with other leading school book publishers to form Cornelsen Schulverlage GmbH . The publishing program includes 17,000 titles from around 40 disciplines, 1,500 of which are new publications annually.
The company belongs to Franz Cornelsen Bildungsholding GmbH & Co. KG.
At the didacta 2014 presented Cornelsen online platform Scook ago. On the website, teachers can use the online edition of a textbook to plan lessons and access all of the teaching materials. In February 2011, LernCoachies.de, an online learning portal was opened that is based on the in-house textbooks for grades 4 to 7.
In addition to books, children's games and educational software as well as a series of games under the name "Genius" (including the game Genius company physics ) were published.
At the beginning of 2015, Cornelsen Verlag founded the corporate startup Duden Learnattack, an online learning portal for schoolchildren from the 5th grade to the Abitur. It offers learning videos, interactive exercises and sample class work as well as WhatsApp tutoring in nine subjects.
In June 2017, Cornelsen took over the mBook project developed by the Institute for Digital Learning and thus part of the company. With the newly founded Cornelsen mBook GmbH, the publisher is expanding its range of digital and multimedia school books.
Cornelsen acquired the eCademy in 2018 and the inside group in the following year and has since invested in digital educational solutions for companies. The Cornelsen eCademy develops individual company solutions for e-learning, mobile learning, blended learning, workplace learning and performance support.
At the top of the publishing group is the Franz Cornelsen Foundation as the majority shareholder, a company foundation . The publishing group is managed by a holding company. The books are delivered in Bielefeld by the Cornelsen publishing office (CVK). The publishers include the following publishers and brands:
Other publishers and brands
- Franz Cornelsen educational group
- Cornelsen Cultural Foundation
- Cornelsen Experimenta
- Bibliographical Institute GmbH
- Patmos Publishing Group
- Cornelsen (Switzerland) AG
- Publishing house on the Ruhr
- Volk und Wissen Verlag
- Veritas Verlag (Austria)
- Duden Learnattack GmbH
- Cornelsen eCademy
- Cornelsen Schulverlage Schweiz AG
- Cornelsen Verlagkontor, Bielefeld
- ↑ Education group Franz Cornelsen announces a change of strategy - to sell publishers. In: buchreport.de. July 24, 2012. Retrieved April 25, 2017 .
- ↑ Verdi quarterly report on the German media industry - April to June 2016. July 22, 2016 ( Memento from April 24, 2017 in the Internet Archive )
- ^ The Cornelsen Verlag - Cornelsen Service. In: cornelsen.de. Retrieved April 25, 2017 .
- ↑ Dorothee Wiegand: Cornelsen starts its own schoolbook platform. In: heise.de. March 25, 2014. Retrieved April 25, 2017 .
- ↑ Duden Learn Attack. Retrieved August 30, 2018 .
- ↑ The new "Learnattack" learning portal from Duden - This is how you learn today! - bildungsklick.de - makes education a topic. Retrieved August 30, 2018 .
- ↑ Institute for digital learning sells mBook division to Cornelsen - Institute for digital learning . In: Institute for digital learning . June 30, 2017 ( institut-fuer-digitales-lernen.de [accessed on July 16, 2017]).
- ↑ Cornelsen takes over eCademy. Retrieved May 14, 2020 .
- ↑ Cornelsen takes over inside group of companies. Retrieved May 14, 2020 .
- ^ Franz Cornelsen Corporate Foundation ( Memento from February 19, 2014 in the Internet Archive )
Coordinates: 52 ° 28 '27.1 " N , 13 ° 18' 7.6" E