David Gross (filmmaker)
David Groß (born August 11, 1978 in Salzburg ) is an Austrian filmmaker , journalist and activist . He is best known for the cross-media project Wastecooking , which deals creatively with topics such as food waste and recycling . He is co-founder of the filmmaker collective “Schaller 08”.
David Groß graduated from the Kleßheim Tourism School in 1997 with training as a cook. In 1998 he began studying theater studies and journalism in Vienna . By 2003 he completed the postgraduate master's degree in quality journalism at Danube University Krems .
Since then he has worked as a freelance television journalist, filmmaker and "artivist". His first experimental documentary Deputy in Death was premiered at the Graz film festival Diagonale 03 . Between 2006 and 2011 he was seen on SalzburgTV (later ServusTV ) in 260 episodes of the documentary series Groß am Land , in which he had conversations with curious personalities all over Austria. The documentary Pharao Bipolar , shot together with Bernhard Braunstein , deals with actor Werner Buchmayer, who suffers from bipolar disorder, and won the Diocese of Graz-Seckau Prize in 2008 as part of the Diagonale .
After gaining experience as a garbage diver himself , Groß launched the cross-media project Wastecooking in 2012 . Initially designed as a web series and an actionist art project, a television series and a feature-length documentary were later created . Groß makes use of his skills as a chef and serves creative dishes made from what appears to be kitchen waste on his travels through various European countries. The TV series was first broadcast in 2015 by the cultural broadcaster Arte and has since been shown on 3sat and ORF eins . The film, shown at numerous festivals, won several awards. In another project, he initiated Refugee.tv in September 2015, the first internet station in Europe designed by refugees .
David Groß has a daughter.
- 2003: Representing death (documentary film)
- 2006–2011: Groß am Land (TV series)
- 2006: Traveling in your own room (documentary)
- 2008: Pharaoh Bipolar (documentary)
- 2009: The Deer Caller (TV documentary)
- 2010: Entanglements (short film)
- 2011: Holy Waters (documentary)
- 2012: Wastecooking (web series)
- since 2015: Wastecooking - Cooking what others waste (TV series)
- 2015: Wastecooking - Cooking instead of wasting (documentary)
- 2016: Refugee.tv (cross-media project)
- 2018: Large and classified ads (TV series)
- 2008: Prize of the Diocese of Graz-Seckau for Pharao Bipolar ( Diagonale )
- 2011: Culture Prize of the City of Salzburg
- 2015: Documentary Silver Award at the Deauville Green Awards for Wastecooking (TV series, episode 5)
- 2015: Cannes TV & Media Award - Silver Dolphin for Wastecooking (film)
- 2016: NaturVision - German Environment and Sustainability Award for Wastecooking (film)
- 2016: Ekotopfilm - Human Activity Success Stories for Wastecooking (film)
- David Groß - biography and filmography. Wastecooking, accessed June 12, 2018 .
- David Gross. Schaller 08, accessed on June 12, 2018 .
- Wastecooking. Wastecooking, accessed June 12, 2018 .
- About. David Groß, accessed June 12, 2018 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian filmmaker, journalist and activist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 11, 1978|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Salzburg|