Lipson was the son of a Jewish furniture dealer and first attended the Sheffield Royal Grammar School . He then studied at Trinity College , Cambridge, he graduated with honors in history in 1910.
After graduating, he worked as an independent researcher and tutor at the University of Oxford , later he taught at Cambridge (1921-1931), then at Boston University (1932-1933) and from 1933 at California University .
His written estate can be found at the British Library of Political and Economic Science in the holdings of the Economic History Society .
- Editor of the " Economic History Review " (1921–1934) (with Richard Henry Tawney (1880–1962), Michael Moïssey Postan (1899–1981), HJ Habbakuk , Economic History Society )
- The economic history of England , 3 volumes., 1915–1931
- Europe in the nineteenth century , 1916
- The history of the English woolen and worsted industries , 1921
- Increased production , 1921
- The inventions , 1934
- Europe , 1914-1939
- A planned economy and free enterprise , 1944
- Who's who
- Encyclopaedia Judaica
- Martin Daunton: Lipson, Ephraim (1888–1960), economic historian. In: Henry Colin Gray Matthew, Brian Harrison (Eds.): Oxford Dictionary of National Biography , from the earliest times to the year 2000 (ODNB). Oxford University Press, Oxford 2004, ISBN 0-19-861411-X , ( oxforddnb.com license required ), as of 2004
- Catalog query at nal.usda.gov (English)
- Negley Harte: The Economic History Society, 1926–2001 ( Memento of the original from September 25, 2006 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. , on ehs.org.uk, viewed January 7, 2012 (Word document, English; 150 kB)
- Ephraim Lipson - I1804 - Individual Information , entry in Zeffertt Family History on zeffertt.co.uk, viewed January 7, 2012 (English)
- Written legacy ( page no longer available , search in web archives ) Info: The link was automatically marked as defective. Please check the link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. at the Economic History Society , listed in the London archive database aim25.ac.uk, as viewed January 7, 2012
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Lipson, E.|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||British economic historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 1, 1888|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Sheffield|
|DATE OF DEATH||April 22, 1960|
|Place of death||Lambeth , London|