Mestmäcker received his doctorate in 1953 from the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University in Frankfurt am Main , where he also received his habilitation in 1958 . From 1959 he was an ordained professor and taught in Washington DC , Saarbrücken , Münster , Bielefeld (where he was also founding rector from 1967 to 1969) and Hamburg . He was also visiting professor at the University of Michigan in 1965, 1976 and 2000 . From 1979 to 1994 he was director at the Max Planck Institute for Comparative and International Private Law .
From 1960 to 2006, Mestmäcker was a member of the Scientific Advisory Board at the Federal Ministry of Economics and Technology . From 1960 to 1970 he was a special advisor to the EEC Commission for Competition Policy and Legal Alignment, from 1973 to 1978 chairman of the monopolies commission formed in accordance with § 24 GWB and has been a member since 1997 and chairman of the commission for the determination of concentration in the media sector (KEK ). Mestmäcker is a senior member of the Academy of Sciences in Hamburg . In 1989 he was accepted as a full member of the Academia Europaea .
Mestmäcker is co-editor of the magazine ORDO - year book for the order of economy and society .
- The mediation of European and national law in the system of undistorted competition ., Gehlen, 1969
- The return of civil society and its rights in: Yearbook of the Max Planck Society 1991, p. 24 ff.
- with Heike Schweitzer: network competition, network access and "roaming" in mobile communications. An investigation according to TKG, GWB and EC law. Nomos, Commercial Law of International Telecommunications Volume 38, Baden-Baden 1999, ISBN 3-7890-6130-1
- with Heike Schweitzer: European competition law . CH Beck, 2nd edition, 2004, ISBN 3-406-33065-7
- Economy and Constitution in the European Union . Nomos, 2nd edition, 2006, ISBN 3-8329-1843-4
- Franz Böhm in: Grundmann / Riesenhuber (Hrsg.), German-speaking civil law teachers of the 20th century in reports from their students. deGruyter, Berlin 2007
- Ludwig Erhard Prize for Business Journalism , 1980
- Federal Cross of Merit 1st Class of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany , 1981
- Honorary Senator of Bielefeld University, 1983
- Ernst Hellmut Vits Prize of the Society for the Promotion of the Westphalian Wilhelms-Univ. Münster , 1984
- Erasmus Medal of the Academia Europaea , 1993
- Order Pour le Mérite for Science and the Arts, 1994
- Hanns Martin Schleyer Prize , 1997
- Large Cross of Merit with Star of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany, 1997
- Honorary doctorate from Bielefeld University, 2009
- Literature by and about Ernst-Joachim Mestmäcker in the catalog of the German National Library
- Emeritus directors at the MPI
- see information on the Ministry's website under Archived Copy ( Memento from December 25, 2012 in the Internet Archive )
- members: Ernst-Joachim Mestmäcker. Academia Europaea, accessed July 6, 2017 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German legal scholar|
|DATE OF BIRTH||September 25, 1926|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Hamelin|