European Foundation for Quality Management
The EFQM was founded in 1989 with the support of the European Commission to develop a European framework for quality management (comparable to the Malcolm Baldrige model in the USA and the Deming circle in Japan).
14 European companies founded the EFQM as a Dutch foundation. Founding members were Bosch , British Telecom , Bull Computer , Ciba-Geigy , Dassault , Electrolux , Fiat , KLM , Nestlé , Olivetti , Philips , Renault , Sulzer and Volkswagen .
The EFQM has approximately 470 member companies and organizations in 55 countries and 50 sectors. According to estimates, over 30,000 companies worldwide work more or less closely according to the principles of EFQM. In a long-term study that extends over a period of 10 years, Vinod Singhal from the Georgia Institute of Technology has proven that companies develop better economically (stock prices, sales, profits, number of employees, etc.) if they are based on quality management models such as the EFQM- Model , the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award or the William Edwards Deming management program.
The EFQM model was introduced in 1991 as a framework for organizational self-assessment and as the basis for the European Quality Award (now the EFQM Excellence Award ). This prize was awarded for the first time in 1992. The EFQM model is widespread in Europe, was last updated in 2019 and serves as an evaluation standard for many national and regional quality prizes, for example the Ludwig Erhard Prize in Germany.
There are national partner organizations (NPOs) as non-profit associations with similar goals as the EFQM. In addition to their own products and services, they also offer training material and courses in the respective native language.
National partners in the German-speaking area are:
- the German Society for Quality (DGQ) for Germany
- the Austrian Foundation for Quality Management (AFQM) for Austria
- the Swiss Association for Quality for Switzerland
- the ESPRIX foundation for Switzerland
- European Foundation for Quality Management
- Austrian Foundation for Quality Management (AFQM)
- German society for quality
- Swiss Association for Quality
- Peter Hensen: Quality concept in health care . In: Quality Management in Health Care . Springer Fachmedien Wiesbaden, Wiesbaden 2016, ISBN 978-3-658-07744-0 , p. 3-29 , doi : 10.1007 / 978-3-658-07745-7_1 .
- European Foundation for Quality Management: EFQM Annual Report 2011 ( Memento of the original from October 21, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice. (PDF file; 2.92 MB)
- Holistic corporate management according to EFQM. In: ESPRIX Foundation website. Retrieved May 16, 2020 .