Faustus Cornelius Sulla
Faustus Cornelius Sulla (* before 86 BC; † 46 BC in Mauritania ) was the son of the Roman dictator Lucius Cornelius Sulla Felix and Caecilia Metella . After the death of his parents, he and his twin sister Cornelia Fausta were raised by Lucius Licinius Lucullus .
Faustus Sulla served in 63 BC. BC, probably as a military tribune , under his father-in-law Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus, and was the first Roman to climb the wall when he stormed the Temple of Jerusalem . He organized 60 BC Games in honor of his father and, as a mint master (probably 56 BC), had coins minted to celebrate his father and father-in-law. Faustus Sulla was born in 54 BC. Chr. Quaestor . 52 BC As a curator he was supposed to take care of the reconstruction of the Hostilia Curia, which burned down during unrest . Faustus bought the historian Timagenes of Alexandria free.
After the outbreak of the civil war in 49 BC In BC Faustus Sulla recruited troops as Proquaestor with the Empire of a Praetor , which he brought to Pompey in Epirus . He kept his command in the following year and fought in Macedonia against the Caesar general Gnaeus Domitius Calvinus . After Pompey's defeat in the battle of Pharsalus , he fled to North Africa via Patras . When Caesar met his opponents there in 46 BC. Defeated in the Battle of Thapsus in BC , Sulla tried to escape to Spain with his wife Pompeia and Lucius Afranius , but was captured by Publius Sittius and executed a few days later. Pompeia and the couple's children were spared on Caesar's orders.
Since 57 BC at the latest Until his death Faustus was augur .
- Karl-Ludwig Elvers : Cornelius [I 87]. In: The New Pauly (DNP). Volume 3, Metzler, Stuttgart 1997, ISBN 3-476-01473-8 , column 185.
- Friedrich Münzer : Cornelius 377 . In: Paulys Realencyclopadie der classischen Antiquity Science (RE). Volume IV, 1, Stuttgart 1900, Col. 1515-1517.
- Flavius Josephus , Jüdischer Krieg , 1, 149 and 154; Jewish antiquities 14, 66 and 73.
- Cassius Dio 37, 51, 4.
- Michael Crawford, Roman republican conage . Oxford University Press, London 1974, Volume 1, pp. 449-451.
- Asconius Pedianus 20.
- Cassius Dio 40, 50, 2.
- Suda , tau 588 .
- Marcus Tullius Cicero , ad Atticum 9, 1, 4 .
- Inscriptiones Graecae 9, 1, 143 .
- Cicero, ad Atticum 8, 3, 7 .
- Cassius Dio 41, 51, 3.
- Cassius Dio 42, 13, 3.
- [Caesar], de bello Africo , 95; Titus Livius , Perioche 114; Suetonius , Caesar 75, 3; [ Aurelius Victor ], de viris illustribus 78, 9.
- Cassius Dio 39, 17, 2.
|SURNAME||Cornelius Sulla, Faustus|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Sulla, Faustus Cornelius|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Son of the Roman dictator Sulla|
|DATE OF BIRTH||before 86 BC Chr.|
|DATE OF DEATH||46 BC Chr.|
|Place of death||Mauritania|