His father was the theologian Wolfgang Friedrich Geß (1819-1891). During his studies in 1882 he became a member of the Normannia Tübingen Association . He received his doctorate from Wilhelm Maurenbrecher in Leipzig in 1886 with a thesis on Cochläus . In this, in turn, he completed his habilitation in 1888 on a topic that was to have far-reaching consequences, namely the monastery visions of Duke George the Bearded . First he taught in Leipzig as a private lecturer. On April 1, 1894, he was appointed professor of history at the Technical University in Dresden. He was a member of the Royal Saxon Commission for Regional History and was entrusted with the publication of the "Letters and files on Duke George's church policy". He was able to publish two volumes in 1905 and 1917. It belongs to the basic works of the Saxon Reformation history, which can only be compared in importance with the "Political Correspondence of Elector Moritz von Sachsen" begun under Erich Brandenburg . His edition came up to the year 1527. The edition up to the death of the duke in 1539 was ended in 2012. In addition, a very extensive biography of Duke Georg was published in 2008.
With his retirement from October 1, 1928, Geß ended his work as a university lecturer and library director. Geß had also been the subject of the diary entries of the Romanist Viktor Klemperer , who did not appreciate him very much either as a colleague or professionally.
- Johannes Cochläus, the opponent of Luther . Diss. Opole 1886.
- The monastery visitations of Duke George of Saxony . Leipzig 1888.
Files and letters on the church policy of Duke George of Saxony
- Volume 1: 1517-1524 . Teubner, Leipzig 1905 (new print Böhlau, Cologne 1985).
- Volume 2: 1525-1527 . Teubner, Leipzig 1917 (new print Böhlau, Cologne 1985).
- Volume 3: 1528-1534 . Böhlau, Vienna-Cologne-Weimar 2010.
- Volume 4: 1535–1539 , Böhlau, Vienna-Cologne-Weimar 2012.
- Siegfried Hoyer : Geß, Felician . In: Institute for Saxon History and Folklore (Ed.): Saxon Biography .
- Overview of Felician Geß's courses at the University of Leipzig (summer semester 1888 to summer semester 1894)
- Photo by Geß
- Willy Nolte (Ed.): Burschenschafter Stammrolle. List of the members of the German Burschenschaft according to the status of the summer semester 1934. Berlin 1934. S. 144.
- Christoph Volkmar: Reform instead of revolution. The church policy of Duke George of Saxony 1488-1525 . Tübingen 2008, ISBN 978-3-16-149409-3 .
- Louis J. Reith (Review): files and letters on the church policy of Duke George of Saxony. The Sixteenth Century Journal 1990, doi : 10.2307 / 2541055 . P. 261ff.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian and librarian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 1, 1861|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Basel|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 30, 1938|
|Place of death||Dresden|