Ferdinando Paër first studied in his hometown with Gian Francesco Fortunati before continuing his studies at the “Conservatorio della Pietà de Turchini” in Naples. He made his debut in 1789 with the comic opera La locanda de 'vagabondi , in 1791 he became theater conductor in Venice, and in 1797 he carried out this activity in Vienna. From 1802 to 1806 he was Kapellmeister at the Morettisches Opernhaus in Dresden, from 1812 to 1827 Kapellmeister at the Italian Opera in Paris. From 1831 he was a member of the Académie des Beaux-Arts , and in 1832 Kapellmeister of the Royal Chapel there. Paër wrote about 44 operas , which were very successful and well-known during his lifetime, but were forgotten after his death; also oratorios , cantatas , vocal works , piano pieces, etc. a.
- Leopold von Sonnleithner , Beethoven and Paër. A correction , in: Reviews and Mittheilungen über Theater und Musik , Vol. 6, No. 27 of July 4, 1860, pp. 412f. ( Digitized version )
- Richard Engländer : Ferdinando Paër as Saxon court conductor. In: New Archive for Saxon History. Vol. 50, 1929, , pp. 204-224 .
- Manuela Jahrmärker: The church music of the Italians Ferdinando Paer and Francesco Morlacchi for the Catholic Court Church: Tradition and Restoration. In: Matthias Herrmann (Ed.): The Dresden church music in the 19th and 20th centuries (= Music in Dresden. Vol. 3). Laaber-Verlag, Laaber 1998, ISBN 3-89007-331-X , pp. 61-80.
- John A. Rice: Empress Marie Therese and Music at the Viennese Court, 1792-1807. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge 2003, ISBN 0-521-82512-1 .
- Wolfram Enßlin: Chronological-thematic directory of the works of Ferdinando Paër. Volume 1: The operas (= musicological publications. Vol. 23, 1). Olms, Hildesheim et al. 2004, ISBN 3-487-11947-1 .
- Giuliano Castellani: Ferdinando Paer. Biografia, opere e documenti degli anni parigini (= Varia musicologia. Vol. 15). Lang, Bern et al. 2008, ISBN 978-3-03911-719-2 .
- Simone Galliat: Musical theater in upheaval. Studies on the "opere semiserie" Ferdinando Paërs (= Cologne contributions to musicology. 11). Bosse, Kassel 2009, ISBN 978-3-7649-2711-0 , (also: Cologne, University, dissertation, 2008).
- Works by and about Ferdinando Paër in the German Digital Library
- Sheet music and audio files from Paër in the International Music Score Library Project
- List of stage works by Ferdinando Paër based on the MGG at Operone
- Search for operas by Ferdinando Paër (search term in the Autore field : “Paer Ferdinando”) in the Corago information system of the University of Bologna
- Gesine Schröder: All over the place. Handel and Rossini, Paisiello and Paer urn : nbn: de: bsz: 14-qucosa-60672
- Wolfram Enßlin: Chronological-thematic directory of the works of Ferdinando Paër. Volume 1: The Operas. 2004, p. 15: "If you can already see the names of his parents, Giulio Pär and Francesca Cutica and his grandfather Michael Pär from this entry, you can find more information about his paternal descent in an article by Castil-Blaze."
- Wolfram Enßlin: Paër, Ferdinando. In: Ludwig Finscher (Hrsg.): The music in past and present . Second edition, personal section, volume 12 (Mercadante - Paix). Bärenreiter / Metzler, Kassel et al. 2004, ISBN 3-7618-1122-5 , Sp. 1536 ( online edition , subscription required for full access) (“Ferdinando's grandfather Michael Pär, born in the Austrian Peterwardein […], was at the helm of a music corps regiment left his hometown and settled in Parma. ")
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Paer, Ferdinand|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Italian composer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||July 1, 1771|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Parma|
|DATE OF DEATH||May 3, 1839|
|Place of death||Paris|