Höpfel studied law at the Universities of Innsbruck and Geneva . After graduating, he obtained his doctorate in 1974 in Innsbruck. iur. After research stays at the Universities of Cambridge and Tübingen , he began working as a research assistant to Friedrich Nowakowski at his chair in Innsbruck. Under his supervision, Höpfel completed his habilitation in 1987 with a text on criminal procedural law. From 1990 to 1994 he was a full professor for criminal law and criminal procedure law at the University of Innsbruck. In 1994 he moved to a full chair for criminal law and criminal procedure law at the Institute for Criminal Law and Criminology at the University of Vienna , which he has held since then. He has also been a visiting professor several times , including at St. Mary's University in San Antonio , the University of Turku and the University of Ljubljana (2002 and 2005).
Until 2005, Höpfel also worked as a criminal defense lawyer at Austrian courts and at the European Court of Human Rights . In 2005 he was elected ad litem judge at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia , where he served until 2008.
Höpfel's research focuses primarily on criminal law dogmatics, the system of sanctions, comparative procedural law, and European and international criminal law.
- Public prosecutor and presumption of innocence. The basics for initiating criminal proceedings under Austrian law . Orac, Vienna 1988, ISBN 978-3-7015-4207-9 (habilitation thesis).
- Is it advisable to design the criminal sanction system? Manz, Vienna 1988.
- with Diethelm Kienapfel and Robert Kert : Outline of Austrian criminal law, general part . 15th edition. Manz, Vienna 2016, ISBN 978-3-214-12190-7 .
- with Diethelm Kienapfel and Robert Kert: Learning program criminal law general part . 15th edition. Manz, Vienna 2016, ISBN 978-3-214-12194-5 .
- Höpfel at the European Forum Alpbach
- Höpfel at the Institute for Criminal Law and Criminology at the University of Vienna
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian lawyer and university lecturer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1952|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||innsbruck|