Fred M. Westfield
Fritz Westfeld's father Dietrich Westfeld, brother of the art dealer Walter Westfeld and the painter Max Westfeld , came from Herford , he worked as a lawyer in Essen , his mother Grete Stern came from Steele , she was persecuted as a Jew in National Socialist Germany. Westfeld had to drop out of school in 1939 when he was brought to England on a Kindertransport . His parents and younger brother were also able to flee, and the family managed to cross to the USA in 1940, where Westfield was granted US citizenship in 1940. He graduated from high school and served in the US Army in 1945/46 . From 1947 to 1950 he studied at Vanderbilt University and then went to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), where he received his doctorate in economics with Paul A. Samuelson in 1957 . From 1953 he was an assistant at Northwestern University , where he became an associate professor in 1960 . In 1965 he received a professorship in economics from Vanderbilt University, and in 1998 he retired.
Westfield was repeatedly invited as a visiting professor. He also received a variety of research assignments. In 1968 he was appointed presidential advisor and from 1970 to 1972 he worked for the World Bank . Westfield was a member of the Royal Economic Society and the Econometric Society .
- Werner Röder; Herbert A. Strauss (Ed.): International Biographical Dictionary of Central European Emigrés 1933–1945 . Volume 2.2. Munich: Saur, 1983 ISBN 3-598-10089-2 , p. 1240
- RM Hepperle: Westfield, Fred M. In: Harald Hagemann , Claus-Dieter Krohn (Hrsg.): Biographical manual of German-speaking economic emigration after 1933 . Munich: KG Saur, 1999, ISBN 3-487-05752-2 , pp. 740-742
- Literature by and about Fred M. Westfield in the WorldCat bibliographic database
- Fred M. Westfield , at Vanderbilt University
- Fred Meinhard Westfield , obituary at The Tennessean
- Fred Westfield, Professor Emeritus of Economics November 7, 1926 - April 24, 2019. Vanderbilt University, accessed February 14, 2020 .
- Fred Meinhard Westfield. In: The Tennessean. legacy.com, April 30, 2019, accessed February 14, 2020 .
|SURNAME||Westfield, Fred M.|
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Westfeld, Fritz|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American economist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 7, 1926|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||eat|
|DATE OF DEATH||April 24, 2019|
|Place of death||Nashville , Tennessee|