Günther Böhme (born May 4, 1923 in Dresden ; † August 8, 2016 in Wiesbaden ) was a German educational philosopher . He was Professor of Educational History and Philosophy of Education at the Goethe University in Frankfurt am Main .
Live and act
Günther Böhme studied philosophy, education, psychology and German literary history in Passau , Erlangen and Munich , where he completed his studies in 1953 with a doctorate. 1953–1956 he was deputy head of the pedagogical work center in Wiesbaden. From 1954 to 2016 he worked as a lecturer in adult education and has taught at the University of Frankfurt am Main at the Institute for Educational Sciences since 1965 . Since 1972 he has been a professor of education with a focus on educational philosophy, educational history and educational theory.
Böhme is co-founder of the chair for “Pedagogy in the Third World”, the first in Germany. He has held visiting professorships in Indonesia, Peru, Mexico, Costa Rica, Mongolia, repeatedly in Lithuania and Estonia and since 1989 regularly in Latvia. From 1954 to 2016 Böhme was a seminar leader and lecturer at the Volkshochschule Wiesbaden, from 1968 to 1992 chairman of the Volkshochschule Wiesbaden and since 1992 honorary chairman. From 1974 to 2016 Böhme was editor of the Hessische Blätter für Volksbildung, magazine for adult education , 10 years of which as chairman. He was editor of a series of publications on gerontology, including several of his own publications on aging research.
In 1982 Günther Böhme was a founding member of the 3rd Age University at the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University (U3L) in Frankfurt am Main. Alongside Anitra Karsten , the initiator of the third age university, he was a member of the board from the very beginning. From 1984 to 2012 he was its chairman. Until 2016, Böhme held lectures and seminars there on the intellectual history and philosophy of Europe, Christian humanism and questions of education in the third age.
He was the author of numerous monographs and essays on educational philosophy and in particular on the history and impact of humanism and on educational theory and adult education, some of which were also published as translations in English, French, Spanish, Lithuanian and Latvian. He was co-editor of the educational specialist journal Skolotais (Schule) in Latvia until 2010. Since 1956, Böhme has given cabaret evenings with his own humorous satirical poems every year in Wiesbaden; he also published several volumes of poetry.
- Federal Cross of Merit 1st Class 1997
- Hessian Order of Merit 2015
- Holder of the Citizen Medal in Gold of the City of Wiesbaden
- Honorary chairman of the Volkshochschule Wiesbaden
- Honorary chairman of the U3L
- Honorary doctorate from the University of Riga
- Goethe badge of the city of Frankfurt am Main
- Medal of Honor from the Goethe University Frankfurt am Main
- Honorary chairman of the Schlaraffia Wiesbaden association
- Adult psychology. Reinhardt, Munich et al. 1960, (presented to the pedagogical faculty as a habilitation thesis).
- The educational profession of philosophy. Reinhardt, Munich et al. 1968.
- The Central Institute for Education and Instruction and its leaders. On education between the German Empire and National Socialism. Schindele, Neuburgweier 1971.
- The philosophical foundations of the concept of education. A propaedeutic. Henn et al., Kastellaun et al. 1976, ISBN 3-450-01084-0 .
- Maturity and claim of the spirit. Educational philosophy with a pragmatic intention. Henn, Kastellaun 1979, ISBN 3-450-01922-8 .
- Urbanity. An essay on human education and the city of Lang, Frankfurt am Main et al. 1982, ISBN 3-8204-7025-5 .
- Educational history of early humanism. Scientific Book Society, Darmstadt 1984, ISBN 3-534-09373-9 .
- Educational history of European humanism. Scientific Book Society, Darmstadt 1986, ISBN 3-534-01403-0 .
- History of the impact of humanism in the age of rationalism. Scientific Book Society, Darmstadt 1988, ISBN 3-534-03161-X .
- with Heinz-Elmar Tenorth : Introduction to historical pedagogy. Scientific Book Society, Darmstadt 1990, ISBN 3-534-07065-8 .
- Goethe - natural science, humanism, education. An experiment on the present of classical education. Lang, Frankfurt am Main et al. 1991, ISBN 3-631-43106-6 .
- Understanding of age or education and no end. A gerontological study. Schulz-Kirchner, Idstein 1992, ISBN 3-8248-0064-0 (2nd, expanded edition. Ibid 2012, ISBN 978-3-8248-0887-8 ).
- Humanism between Enlightenment and Postmodernism. Schulz-Kirchner, Idstein 1994, ISBN 3-8248-0145-0 .
- with Klaus Potyka: experience in science and everyday life. An analytical study of the concept, content and meaning of a lifelong phenomenon. Schulz-Kirchner, Idstein 1995, ISBN 3-8248-0146-9 .
- with Frank-Olaf Brauerhoch and Silvia Dabo-Cruz: Research as a Challenge. On the scientific potential and voluntary commitment of the elderly. Schulz-Kirchner, Idstein 1998, ISBN 3-8248-0185-X .
- Studying in old age. A handbook for studying in the 3rd age. Societäts-Verlag, Frankfurt am Main 2001, ISBN 3-7973-0779-9 .
- with Christine Hamann: Everyday school life between ideology and reality. Memories of the school days under National Socialism and their historical background. Schulz-Kirchner, Idstein 2001, ISBN 3-8248-0490-5 .
- About the way old age deals with itself. Educational profiles and results of empirical surveys on the relationships between mind and body. Schulz-Kirchner, Idstein 2004, ISBN 3-8248-0371-2 .
- Culture and educational reform. On the topicality of a humanistic education. Schulz-Kirchner, Idstein 2008, ISBN 978-3-8248-0275-3 .
- with Frank-Olaf Brauerhoch and Silvia Dabo-Cruz: desire for education. Results of a gerontological project on the course of studies in the third age. Schulz-Kirchner, Idstein 2010, ISBN 978-3-8248-0655-3 .
- Education - Age - Culture (= Hessische Blätter für Volksbildung. Vol. 53, No. 3, ). Bertelsmann, Bielefeld 2003.
- Günther Böhme, Silvia Dabo-Cruz (Hrsg.): Gerontology in educational theory and practice. 20 years at Frankfurt University of the 3rd age. Schulz-Kirchner, Idstein 2003, ISBN 3-8248-0369-0 .
- Silvia Dabo-Cruz, Christian Winter: Günther Böhmes work at the University of the 3rd Age. In: Edeltraud Moos-Czech (Red.): Günther Böhme on his 90th birthday (= Hessian papers for popular education. Vol. 63, No. 2). Bertelsmann, Bielefeld 2013, ISBN 978-3-7639-5179-6 , pp. 120–128, doi : 10.3278 / HBV1302W120 .
- Gertrude Deninger-Polzer, Christian Winter, Silvia Dabo-Cruz (eds.): Thinking and its consequences. Ways of thinking from the point of view of different scientific disciplines. (Günther Böhme on his 85th birthday). Schulz-Kirchner, Idstein 2008, ISBN 978-3-8248-0285-2 .
- Edeltraud Moos-Czech (Red.): Günther Böhme on his 90th birthday (= Hessian papers for popular education. Vol. 63, No. 2). Bertelsmann, Bielefeld 2013, ISBN 978-3-7639-5179-6 .
- Literature by and about Günther Böhme in the catalog of the German National Library
- University of the 3rd age at the Goethe University Frankfurt am Main
- Still a professor at the age of 90
- Hessian Order of Merit goes to Prof. Dr. Dr. hc Böhme
- Stefan Röttele University of the Third Age The Late Joy in Science , June 27, 2015
- Heinz-Jürgen Hauzel: The glory beyond the lifetime. Obituary in Wiesbadener Kurier , August 11, 2016
- Obituary notice on rhein-main-presse.de, accessed on September 10, 2016.
- Günther Böhme. In: Kürschner's German Literature Calendar . 2014/2015. Volume 1: A-O. De Gruyter, Berlin 2014, ISBN 978-3-11-033720-4 , p. 95.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German philosopher|
|DATE OF BIRTH||May 4, 1923|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Dresden|
|DATE OF DEATH||August 8, 2016|
|Place of death||Wiesbaden|