He studied German , history and social studies , philosophy and education at the Universities of Bochum and Würzburg. In 1975 he received his doctorate in education from the Julius Maximilians University of Würzburg . Afterwards he was professor for philosophy of science and methodology of educational science at the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt am Main and since 1991 he was professor for historical educational science at the Humboldt University. From 2000 to 2005 he was Vice President for Teaching and Studies at Humboldt University. Tenorth has been retired since April 2011. His successor to the chair is Marcelo Caruso .
His focus is historical educational research . In 1995 he was a member of the expert commissions of the Conference of Ministers of Education for the new regulation of the upper secondary school level and for teacher training . Heinz-Elmar Tenorth is also the editor of the six-volume history of the Humboldt University, which was published 2010–2012 by Akademie-Verlag on the occasion of its 200th anniversary .
- University entry and upper secondary school level in educational policy from 1945–1973. On the genesis and pedagogical criticism of the “upper secondary school level in secondary level II.” Klinkhardt, Bad Heilbrunn 1975, ISBN 3-7815-0273-2 (also: Würzburg, University, dissertation, 1975).
- History of education. Introduction to the basics of their modern development. Juventa, Weinheim et al. 1988, ISBN 3-7799-0343-1 (several editions).
- as editor with Dieter Langewiesche : 1918–1945. The Weimar Republic and the National Socialist dictatorship (= Handbook of German Educational History . Vol. 5). Beck, Munich 1989, ISBN 3-406-32466-5 .
- with Günther Böhme : Introduction to historical pedagogy. Scientific Book Society, Darmstadt 1990, ISBN 3-534-07065-8 .
- "To teach everyone everything". Possibilities and perspectives of general education (= WB-Forum. 82). Scientific Book Society, Darmstadt 1994, ISBN 3-534-80150-4 .
- with Sonja Kudella and Andreas Paetz: Politicization in everyday school life in the GDR. Enforcement and failure of an educational ambition (= library for educational research. Vol. 2). Deutscher Studien-Verlag, Weinheim 1996, ISBN 3-89271-648-X .
- Reception and transformation in German education. About the openness and unity of an educational culture. In: Elmar Lechner (Ed.): Pedagogical border crossers in Europe (= educational history and European identity. 2). Lang, Frankfurt am Main et al. 1997, ISBN 3-631-30798-5 , pp. 209-230.
- with Jürgen Diederich: Theory of the school. A study book on history, functions and design. Cornelsen Scriptor, Berlin 1997, ISBN 3-589-21076-1 .
- as editor: core curriculum upper level. Expertise. 2 volumes. Beltz, Weinheim et al. 2001–2004;
- with Marcelo Caruso: "Internationalization" vs. "Globalization". An attempt at historicization. Introducing the band. In: Marcelo Caruso and Heinz-Elmar Tenorth (eds.): Internationalization. Semantics and education system in a comparative perspective. = Internationalization. Comparing Educational Systems and Semantics. Lang, Frankfurt am Main et al. 2002, ISBN 3-631-38661-3 , pp. 13–32.
- Classic in education. Shape and function of an indispensable species. In: Heinz-Elmar Tenorth (ed.): Classics of Pedagogy. Volume 1: From Erasmus to Helene Lange (= Beck'sche series. 1521). Beck, Munich 2003, ISBN 3-406-49440-4 , pp. 9-20.
- Pedagogy. In: Dietrich Benner , Jürgen Oelkers (Hrsg.): Historical dictionary of pedagogy. Beltz, Weinheim et al. 2004, ISBN 3-407-83153-6 , pp. 341–382.
- Wolfgang Brezinka: Scientific pedagogy in the mirror of its unsolved problems (= retrospectives in matters of education . Series 2: Studies. No. 46). University of Klagenfurt - Department of Historical and Systematic Education, Klagenfurt 2004.
- as editor: History of the University of Unter den Linden. 1810-2010. 6 volumes. Akademie-Verlag, Berlin 2010–2012.
- "... the practical side of the Philosophical Faculty". Status and function of university education (= Humboldt University of Berlin. Public lectures. 169). Farewell lecture, February 10, 2011. Humboldt University, Berlin 2011, ISBN 978-3-86004-272-4 .
- Literature by and about Heinz-Elmar Tenorth in the catalog of the German National Library
- Homepage HU Berlin
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German educationalist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||October 13, 1944|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||eat|