|legal form||registered association|
|purpose||Development and Global Climate Justice|
|Managing directors||Christoph Bals (Political), Gerold Kier (Administrative)|
|sales||5,068,836 euros (2018)|
The development and environmental organization is committed to global justice and the preservation of livelihoods. The association focuses on politics and economics in the countries of the global north and advocates justice for the people of the global south . Political managing director of Germanwatch has been Christoph Bals since 2005 .
Working method and fields of work
The association carries out lobbying, campaigning, public relations and educational work geared to the common good and, with its specialist publications, is considered a think tank . The focus is on the dialogue with politics and business as well as information and mobilization of civil society . The work is based on scientific analyzes, the exchange of information with development and environmental organizations and actors from politics and business. In this context, there are contacts to trade unions , consumer protection organizations and companies , among others . Germanwatch is a member of the German Nature Conservation Ring .
The content of the activity relates to the fields of international climate policy , German and European climate policy, world nutrition , land use and trade , corporate responsibility and education for sustainable development .
The association has over 700 members, not all of whom are entitled to vote.
The association is financed from membership fees, donations, grants from the Future Viability Foundation , which is close to Germanwatch, and from project funds from public and private grant providers.
The board consists of at least two and a maximum of nine people. It is elected every two years by the general assembly. The board is responsible for the activities of Germanwatch on behalf of the members and appoints the management.
A total of around 50 employees work in the offices. There are also volunteer supporters and honorary workers.
Projects and Campaigns
- Germanwatch Climate Expedition - Visualization of climate change using live satellite images for school classes.
- Loss and Damage in Vulnerable Countries Initiative - the initiative supports the group of least developed countries in getting the international community to act on damage caused by climate change.
- Adaptation Fund NGO Network - Alliance of non-governmental organizations and interested parties that monitors the development of the Fund for the provision of financial resources ( Adaptation Fund ).
- makeITfair - European project from 2010 to 2014 to raise awareness and mobilize for fair and green IT products.
- Mensch Macht Milch - Photo exhibition on EU agricultural policy and rural agriculture in the north and south.
- The hidden object of the future - six square meters large hidden object with ideas and suggestions for the sustainability goals of the UN.
Germanwatch is increasingly working in international partnerships. From September 2018 to August 2019, Germanwatch worked in the following partnerships for a transformation towards sustainability, climate protection and climate resilience:
- with partners from civil society in Morocco and the Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung : Strengthening the climate-political civil society in the MENA region .
- with African and international civil society organizations: Expansion of renewable energies in Africa.
- with Transparency International : Multi-stakeholder partnership on climate risk insurance in Kenya.
- with Indian think tanks and NGOs: Reduction of investment risks in the Indian solar sector.
- with the Climate Action Network South Asia (CAN-SA) and the Center for Environment Education (CEE): Cooperation with civil society groups from India to promote sustainable lifestyles.
- German Local Sustainability Award ZeitzeichenN / Category: "ESD - outside of the curriculum and classroom" (2019)
- Award of the Germanwatch-Hand Print at the WeltWeitWissen Congress 2018 (2018)
- Spinning Planet Award and Best Short Award for the short film "The Bill" 2010
- Public Eye Award / Positive Award for engagement in the Euzkadi case (2006)
- Climate protection commemorative stamp: Green Album (2006)
- Award of the climate expedition as a UN Decade Project (2005)
- Poldi Award for Germanwatch website
- KlimaKompakt - e-mail newsletter on the subject of climate protection with articles on politics, business and science
- Climate Risk Index - examines which countries are particularly hard hit by extreme weather conditions; appears annually
- Climate Protection Index - compares and evaluates the climate protection performance of 56 countries and the EU; appears annually
- Short messages - E-mail newsletter on the activities, publications and events of Germanwatch
- Foresight - Germanwatch's fields of work; appears as a supplement in the taz
- Germanwatch: Our mission statement
- Germanewatch: Member of DNR. DNR
- Germanwatch: Annual report of the management board 2017-2018
- Germanwatch: Articles of Association
- Germanwatch: Climate Expedition
- Loss and Damage - About ( Memento from November 18, 2013 in the Internet Archive )
- Germanwatch: Adaptation Fund Network ( Memento of the original from June 17, 2012 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link was inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
- Center for Research on Multinational Corporations (SOMO): Results of the makeITfair project . December 8, 2014 (English, somo.nl [accessed March 4, 2017]).
- Germanwatch: Mensch Macht Milch
- Germanwatch: The SDG Hidden Object FUTURE
- Germanwatch Annual Report of the Management Board 2018-2019. (PDF) Germanwatch, October 1, 2019, pp. 28–31 , accessed on October 5, 2019 .
- Germanwatch: Germanwatch Hand Print awarded again , news from November 14, 2019
- Germanwatch: Hand Print honored as an outstanding project. News from May 14, 2018
- Germanwatch: Germanwatch short film "Die Rechung" awarded at international film festivals , press release from July 23, 2010
- Germanwatch: Successful fight against violations of workers' rights awarded , press release from January 25, 2006
- Germanwatch: Commitment to climate protection honored , press release from January 25, 2006
- Germanwatch: Publications
- Climate Change Performance Index. Retrieved May 8, 2019 .