Location of the Gilgit in the river system of the Indus
|location||Gilgit-Baltistan ( Pakistan )|
|Drain over||Indus → Arabian Sea|
|muzzle||at Shimrot in the Indus
|Catchment area||26,000 km²|
|Left tributaries||Yasin , Karambar , Hunza|
Gilgit River near Gilgit
The Gilgit River flows east from Lake Shandur to the city of the same name, which is located in Gilgit-Baltistan , the former Pakistani northern regions, in the Kashmir region . The river then flows into the Indus . Rafting tours are carried out on the river .
On the Shandur Plateau, on which Lake Shandur is located, a polo tournament has been held every year since 1936 according to historical rules, which has been expanded to include an open-air festival for several years.
- Illustration of the river on travelblog.org
- Illustration of the Gilgit Valley
- Crossing the Gilgit River on a seat lift
- Article Gilgit in the Great Soviet Encyclopedia (BSE) , 3rd edition 1969–1978 (Russian)http: //vorlage_gse.test/1%3D010401~2a%3DGilgit~2b%3DGilgit
- Gilgit River. In: britannica.com. Retrieved December 13, 2009 .