Giorgio Capitani began his career in 1946 as an assistant director, among others with Vittorio Cottafavi . His first film, You Must Forget Me , was shot in 1953. After a handful of melodramas that met with mild interest, he devoted himself to dubbing and worked as the director of the second staff in larger productions; He experienced a second career start in 1964, when he specialized in comedies , which he turned as television productions since the late 1980s. Again and again he scattered “serious” films in between; The stories about Commissario Rocca were particularly successful .
Towards the end of the 20th century he shifted to more serious, often biographical material.
Giorgio Capitani has also been listed as George Holloway in films .
- 1952: Anna and the executioner (Il boia di Lilla - La vita avventurosa di Milady) (screenplay)
- 1953: I sinned for you (Per salvarti ho peccato) (screenplay)
- 1954: You have to forget me (Delirio)
- 1961: Alarm auf der Valiant (The Valiant) (screenplay)
- 1962: Axel Munthe - The Doctor of San Michele (Koregie with Rudolf Jugert and Georg Marischka )
- 1964: The hour of tough men (Ercole, Sansone, Maciste e Ursus gli invincibili)
- 1966: ... what a night, boy! (Che notte ragazzi!)
- 1967: Sam Cooper's gold (Ognuno per sé)
- 1968: Madame has the longest fingers (La notte è fatta per… rubare)
- 1969: Archangel (L'arcangelo)
- 1972: A lucky pig doesn't have to be a piglet (La schiava io ce l'ho e tu no)
- 1975: The gangster's doll (La pupa del gangster)
- 1976: Quartet of Passions (Bruciati da cocente passione)
- 1978: Dinner followed by breakfast (Pane, burro e marmellata) (also script)
- 1979: Lobster for breakfast (Aragosta a colazione)
- 1980: I hate blondes (Odio le bionde)
- 1981: Hey ghosts! (Bollenti spiriti)
- 1987: The Chaoten Duo (Arrivederci e grazie)
- 1988: Die Nesthocker (E non se vogliono andare!)
- 1989: Die Nesthocker II (E poi se no vanna?)
- 1995: Christmas with obstacles (Natale con papà)
- 1997: Priests in action (Un prete tra noi) (series)
- 2000: The Little Lord - Savior in Need (Il ritorno del piccolo lord)
- 2000: Anna
- 2002: A Life for Peace - Pope John XXIII. (Papa Giovanni - Ioannes XXIII)
- 2004: Love goes through the stomach (Mai storie d'amore in cucina)
- 2004: Crusader 9 - Saint Rita (Rita da Cascia)
- 2005: Callas & Onassis (Callas e Onassis)
- 2006: Papa Luciani - Il sorriso di Dio
- 2009: Puccini (miniseries)
Addio a Giorgio Capitani, è morto il creatore de 'Il maresciallo Rocca'. In: La Repubblica . Gruppo Editoriale L'Espresso SpA, March 25, 2017, accessed March 25, 2017 (Italian). Massimo Chiaravalli: Morto Giorgio Capitani, il papà del “Maresciallo Rocca”. In: Leggo.it. Caltagirone Editore , March 25, 2017, accessed March 25, 2017 (Italian).
- Roberto Poppi: Dizionario del cinema italiano, I registi, Gremese 2002, p. 88.
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Holloway, George (pseudonym)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Italian film and television director and screenwriter|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 29, 1927|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Paris , Île-de-France , France|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 25, 2017|
|Place of death||Viterbo , Lazio , Italy|