Hans-Werner Hahn studied history, politics and education at the Justus Liebig University in Giessen . There he received his doctorate in 1979 under Helmut Berding with a topic on economic integration in the 19th century. From 1979 to 1988 he was a research assistant with Elisabeth Fehrenbach at the University of Saarland . In 1988 he completed his habilitation there. From 1988 to 1990 Hahn worked at the Johann Wolfgang Goethe University in Frankfurt am Main . In 1991/1992 he was a scholarship holder at the Historisches Kolleg in Munich. After substitute professorships at the universities of Tübingen and Munich , he held the chair for the history of the 19th and 20th centuries from 1992 to 2015. Century held at the Friedrich Schiller University Jena . Matthias Steinbach is one of his academic students .
Hahn is a member of the historical commission of the Bavarian Academy of Sciences (since 2003), the commission for the history of parliamentarism and political parties as well as the historical commissions for Hesse , Thuringia and Nassau . From 2001 to 2009 he was chairman of the commission for the processing of Jena university history in the 20th century. From 1998 to 2010 he headed the sub-project “From the corporate to the civil society. Social change, political ideas and their dissemination processes 1770 to 1830 ”in the special research area“ Weimar-Jena Incident: Culture around 1800 ”at the University of Jena.
Hahn's main research interests are the history of the modern bourgeoisie, the history of the German Confederation and the German Customs Union , the industrial revolution in Germany and the revolution of 1848/49 . With his book The Industrial Revolution in Germany , he “succeeded in perhaps the most complete presentation of industrialization, presenting a whole range of research problems in a convincing breadth,” said Flurin Condrau . In 1998, as part of the Encyclopedia of German History , he published a volume on the industrial revolution in Germany.
- with Helmut Berding : Reforms, Restoration and Revolution. 1806–1848 / 49 (= Gebhardt. Handbuch der deutschen Geschichte . Vol. 14). 10th, completely revised edition. Klett-Cotta, Stuttgart 2010, ISBN 978-3-608-60014-8 .
- The industrial revolution in Germany (= Encyclopedia of German History. Vol. 49). 3rd edition, revised and expanded by a supplement. Oldenbourg, Munich 2011, ISBN 3-486-57669-0 .
- Between progress and crises. The forties of the 19th century as a breakthrough phase of German industrialization (= writings of the historical college. Lectures. Vol. 38). Historisches Kolleg Foundation, Munich 1995 ( digitized version ).
- Old-class bourgeoisie between persistence and change. Wetzlar 1689–1870 (= city and bourgeoisie. Vol. 2). Oldenbourg, Munich 1991, ISBN 978-3-486-55845-6 (partly at the same time: Saarbrücken, University, habilitation paper, 1988).
- History of the German Customs Union (= Kleine Vandenhoeck-Reihe. Vol. 1502). Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 1984, ISBN 3-525-33500-8 .
- Economic integration in the 19th century. The Hessian states and the German Zollverein (= critical studies on historical science . Vol. 52). Vandenhoeck & Ruprecht, Göttingen 1982, ISBN 3-525-35710-9 (partly at the same time: Gießen, University, dissertation, 1979).
- with Dieter Hein : Bourgeois values around 1800. Design - mediation - reception. Böhlau, Cologne et al. 2005, ISBN 3-412-16904-8 .
- with Werner Greiling : Bismarck in Thuringia. Politics and culture of remembrance from a small-state perspective. Hain Verlag, Rudolstadt 2003, ISBN 3-89807-046-8 .
- with Werner Greiling and Klaus Ries : Bourgeoisie in Thuringia. Life world and life paths in the early 19th century. Hain Verlag, Rudolstadt et al. 2001, ISBN 3-89807-005-0 .
- Johann Philipp Becker : Radical Democrat - Revolutionary General - Pioneer of the Labor Movement (= writings of the Siebenpfeiffer Foundation. Vol. 5). Thorbecke, Stuttgart 1999, ISBN 3-7995-4905-6 .
- with Werner Greiling: The revolution of 1848/49 in Thuringia. Spaces for action, levels of action, effects. Hain Verlag, Rudolstadt 1998, ISBN 3-930215-57-8 .
- with Irene Jung and Rüdiger Störkel: The revolution of 1848/49 at Lahn and Dill. Wetzlardruck, Wetzlar 1998, ISBN 3-926617-23-3 .
- Literature by and about Hans-Werner Hahn in the catalog of the German National Library
- Page from Hans-Werner Hahn at the University of Jena
- Author information from Jan Thorbecke Verlag
- Flurin Condrau: The industrialization in Germany. Darmstadt 2005, p. 3.
- See the review by Peter Borscheid in: Hessisches Jahrbuch für Landesgeschichte. 51 (2001), pp. 355-356.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||November 5, 1949|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Wetzlar|