He was the son of the Tübingen professor for experimental physics Christian Füchtbauer . In 1949 he received his doctorate from the University of Göttingen . He then worked in the oil industry (Elwerath company, Erdölwerke Hannover) until 1967, but completed his habilitation in 1965 at the University of Tübingen , where he also gave lectures on sediment petrology . From 1967 he was a professor at the Ruhr University in Bochum .
He is the author of a German-language standard work on sedimentology.
In 1984 he received the Hans Stille Medal . In 1990 he received the Gustav Steinmann Medal of the Geological Association as a pioneering researcher in sedimentology . He had been a member of the Leopoldina since 1980 .
- with Wolf von Engelhardt , German Müller (editor) Sediment-Petrologie , Part 1, Methods of Sediment Investigation , Schweitzerbart 1963
- Editor: Sediment-Petrologie , Part 2: Sediments and sedimentary rocks , Schweitzerbart, 4th edition 1988
- with Kurt Lemcke , Wolf von Engelhardt Geological and sediment petrographic investigations in the western part of the unfolded molasse of the southern German Alpine foothills , Hanover, Office for Soil Research 1953
- Editor The Zechstein basin with emphasis on carbonate sequences , Contributions to Sedimentology, Volume 9, Schweitzerbart 1980
- Helmut Hölder , Wolf von Engelhardt Mineralogy, Geology and Paleontology at the University of Tübingen , 1977
- Laudation of the Gustav Steinmann Medal ( Memento of the original from January 18, 2014 in the Internet Archive ) Info: The archive link has been inserted automatically and has not yet been checked. Please check the original and archive link according to the instructions and then remove this notice.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German geologist|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 3, 1921|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Tübingen|
|DATE OF DEATH||December 21, 2004|
|Place of death||Oldenburg|