Herbert Leo Pilch (born February 13, 1927 in Wehlau , East Prussia ; † April 19, 2018 ) was a German linguist , Anglicist and Celtologist . From 1986 to 1988 he was Baden-Württemberg's state chairman of the ÖDP .
Herbert Pilch studied English and Slavic and received his doctorate in 1951 at the University of Kiel . He was then a research assistant there. 1953–1954 he was a research fellow at Yale University , in 1957 he completed his habilitation in Kiel. He was then an associate professor at the Universities of Cologne (1959/60) and Frankfurt (1960/61).
From 1961 until his retirement in 1995 he taught as a professor of English philology at the University of Freiburg and during this time held numerous visiting professorships, for example in 1969 as a visiting professor at Monash University . In 1984 he received an honorary doctorate from the University of St. Andrews and in 1994 from the University of Iași . In 2008 he received the Federal Cross of Merit .
As state chairman of the Baden-Württemberg ÖDP from 1986 to 1988, he appeared at election events across the country for the state elections in April 1988 and achieved 4% of the vote in his constituency. This was acknowledged in papers, especially for federal main committee meetings, from Herbert Gruhl , who made a declaration of honor for him after an arbitration proceeding against Pilch and power struggles over his post had broken out. The regional arbitration court dismissed the suit, but the allegations were repeatedly put forward by its opponents in a circulating paper. At the following state party conference in Plochingen in 1988, Pilch was able to assert himself as deputy state chairman. In 1989 he was the top candidate of the ÖDP in the European elections . He was considered a representative of the conservative party wing. Since 1993 he has been the federal chairman of the Independent Ecologists Germany , founded in April 1991 , which dissolved in 2001.
- The fall of the preverb ge in English . Dissertation, Kiel 1951
- Layamons "brood". A literary study . Winter, Heidelberg 1960 (habilitation thesis)
- Phoneme theory . Basel 1964
- Empirical Linguistics . Munich 1976
- Manual of English Phonetics . Munich 1994
- Old English course + Old English grammar . Munich 1970
- The Celtic languages and literatures . Winter, Heidelberg 2007, ISBN 978-3-8253-5330-8
- Pilch, Herbert . In: Hans Strodel (Hrsg.): Kürschner's German learned calendar . Founded by Joseph Kürschner . 19th edition. KG Saur Verlag, Munich [ua] 2003, ISBN 3-598-23607-7 , p. 2518 ( degruyter.com - constantly updated, restricted-access online edition).
- Hildegard LC Tristram (Ed.): Sound, Sense, and System. Herbert Pilch and Postwar German Studies in English Linguistics (1955–1985) . Winter, Heidelberg 1987, ISBN 3-533-03873-4
- Literature by and about Herbert Pilch in the catalog of the German National Library
- Federal Cross of Merit for Freiburg Anglicists Prof. Herbert Pilch
- 60th birthday of Prof. Herbert Pilch (with picture)
- Herbert Pilch at prabook.org
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Pilch, Herbert Leo (full name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German linguist, Celtologist and politician (ÖDP)|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 13, 1927|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Wehlau , East Prussia|
|DATE OF DEATH||April 19, 2018|