Herbert Steininger (born June 24, 1933 in Vienna ; † March 6, 2005 ) was an Austrian lawyer, President of the Supreme Court (OGH), chairman of the Federal Procurement Office, honorary professor for criminal law and criminal procedure law at the Faculty of Law at the University of Vienna .
After studying law at the University of Vienna , Herbert Steininger passed the judge's examination in 1959. From 1963 he worked as a public prosecutor , from 1973 for the Supreme Court. In 1991 he was appointed Senate President of the Supreme Court, and from 1994–98 he was President of the Supreme Court. From 1982 to 2005 he was honorary professor for criminal law and criminal procedure law at the University of Vienna. Many of his scientific publications are among the standard works of Austrian criminal law literature.
Herbert Steininger always endeavored to work together between teaching and practice. His ability to present difficult problems with simple words was not only appreciated by colleagues in practice and teaching, but above all by his students at the university. Herbert Steininger worked as a lecturer and examiner at the University of Vienna until July 2004.
- Leukauf / Steininger: Commentary on the Austrian Criminal Code . 3rd edition 1992
- Festschrift for Herbert Steininger on his 70th birthday / ed. by Walter Pilgermair. - Vienna: Verlag Austria, 2003
- List of all decorations awarded by the Federal President for services to the Republic of Austria from 1952 (PDF; 6.9 MB)
- Entry on Herbert Steininger in the Austria Forum (in the AEIOU Austria Lexicon )
- Literature by and about Herbert Steininger in the catalog of the German National Library
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian lawyer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 24, 1933|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Vienna|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 6, 2005|