Hermann Weiß (historian)
Hermann Weiß (born February 29, 1932 in Gunzenhausen ; † October 11, 2015 ) was a German historian with a research focus on National Socialism .
Hermann Weiß studied German, history and English at the universities of Munich and Tübingen . From 1961 to 1997 he worked at the Institute for Contemporary History (IfZ) in Munich , and from 1972 also deputy archive manager. In 1979/80 he was provisional director of the IfZ archive.
The main area of his work was the time of National Socialism and contemporary history . Together with Wolfgang Benz and Hermann Graml he was the editor of the standard work Encyclopedia of National Socialism . He was also the editor of the work Biographisches Lexikon zum Third Reich .
- Robert S. Wistrich : Who was who in the Third Reich. Supporters, followers, opponents from politics, business, military, art and science. Harnack, Munich 1983, ISBN 3-88966-004-5 (revised and expanded German edition of Who's Who in Nazi Germany by Hermann Weiß . Weidenfeld and Nicolson, London 1982); last in 1993.
- with Heinz Boberach and Rolf Thommes: offices, abbreviations, actions of the Nazi state. Handbook for the use of sources from the National Socialist era. Office titles, ranks and administrative divisions, abbreviations and non-military cover names. On behalf of the Institute for Contemporary History. Saur, Munich 1997, ISBN 3-598-11271-8 .
- with Paul Hoser : The German Nationals and the Destruction of the Weimar Republic. From Reinhold Quaatz's diary 1928–1933 (= series of quarterly journals for contemporary history . Volume 59). Oldenbourg, Munich 1989, ISBN 3-486-64559-5 .
- with Wolfgang Benz and Hermann Graml : Encyclopedia of National Socialism . Klett-Cotta, Stuttgart 1997; 5th edition 2007, ISBN 978-3-423-34408-1 .
- Biographical lexicon of the Third Reich . S. Fischer, Frankfurt am Main 1998, ISBN 3-10-091052-4 (emerged from Who was who in the Third Reich , see above).
- Hermann Göring's notes in the Institute for Contemporary History. In: Vierteljahrshefte für Zeitgeschichte . Vol. 31 (1983), pp. 365-368 ( PDF ).
- Le fonti sulla storia del collaborazionismo nell'Institute for Contemporary History di Monaco. In: Luigi Cajani, Brunello Mantelli (eds.): Una certa Europa. Il collaborazionismo con le potenze dell'Asse 1939–1945. Le fonti. Fondazione Luigi Micheletti, Brescia 1994, pp. 89-116.
- Mike Malm: White, Hermann. In: German Literature Lexicon . 3. Edition. Vol. 30 (2010), p. 15 ( limited preview in Google book search).
- Literature by and about Hermann Weiß in the catalog of the German National Library
- ^ Obituary notice , Süddeutsche Zeitung , October 17, 2015.
- ↑ a b Im Gedenken , website of the Institute for Contemporary History, October 15, 2015, accessed on October 20, 2015.
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||February 29, 1932|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Gunzenhausen|
|DATE OF DEATH||October 11, 2015|