Hilary Spurling CBE , FRSL (born December 25, 1940 in Manchester , England ) is a British journalist , writer and biographer .
Spurling was educated at Clifton High School, a non-state school in Bristol , South West England, before going to the University of Oxford to study . From 1962 to 1970 she worked as a theater and literary critic for the British magazine The Spectator . Even today (2011) she publishes book reviews in the Observer and the Daily Telegraph .
Spurling is married to the playwright John Spurling and has three children.
- Ivy When Young: The Early Life of Ivy Compton-Burnett 1884-1919. 1974.
- Mervin Peake : Drawings. 1974.
A Handbook to Anthony Powell 's Music of Time. Heinemann, London 1977, ISBN 0-434-72410-6 .
- from the English by Sabine Franke: Invitation to dance. Elfenbein Verlag , Berlin 2018, ISBN 978-3-96160-001-4 .
- Secrets of a Woman's Heart: The Later Life of Ivy Compton-Burnett 1920-1969. 1984.
- Elinor Fettiplace 's Receipt Book: Elizabethan Country House Cooking. Viking Penguin Books, New York City 1986, ISBN 0-670-81592-6 .
- Paul Scott : A Life. 1990.
- Paper spirits. Collage Portraits by Vladimir Sulyagin . 1992.
The unknown Matisse. Volume 1: A Life of Henri Matisse 1869-1908. 1998.
- Translated into German by Jürgen Blasius: Matisse. A biography. DuMont, Cologne 1999, ISBN 3-7701-4864-9 .
La Grande Thérèse: The Greatest Swindle of the Century. 1999.
- From the English by Matthias Wolff: La grande Thérèse: The story of a swindle of the century. Berenberg, Berlin 2006, ISBN 3-937834-17-6 .
- The Girl from the Fiction Department: A Portrait of Sonia Orwell . 2002.
Matisse the Master: The Conquest of Color 1909-1954. 2005.
- translated by Jürgen Blasius: Matisse - life and work. DuMont, Cologne 2006, ISBN 3-8321-7704-3 .
- Potter as Painter and Sculptor. In: Tanya Harrod (Ed.): Ann Stokes : Artists' Potter. Lund Humphries, 2009, ISBN 978-1-84822-007-2 , pp. 12-31.
- Burying the Bones: Pearl Buck in China. Simon & Schuster, New York City 2010, ISBN 978-1-4165-4042-7 .
Anthony Powell : Dancing to the Music of Time. Hamish Hamilton, London 2017.
- from the English by Heinz Feldmann: Anthony Powell. Dance to the music of the time. Elfenbein Verlag , Berlin 2019, ISBN 978-3-96160-002-1 .
Honors and prizes
- 1976: Rose Mary Crawshay Prize for Ivy When Young: The Earls LIfe of Ivy Compton-Burnett 1884-1919 .
- 1984: Duff Cooper Prize for the same biography.
- 2005: Fellow of the Royal Society of Literature .
- 2005: Whitbread Book of the Year Award (today: Costa Book Award ) for Matisse the Master: The Conquest of Color 1909–1954
- Spurling is Commander of the Order of the British Empire .
- 2011: James Tait Black Memorial Prize , Biography category for Burying the Bones: Pearl Buck in China .
- Literature by and about Hilary Spurling in the catalog of the German National Library
- Biography (English)
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||British journalist, writer and biographer|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 25, 1940|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Manchester , England|