After studying prehistory and early history at the University of Vienna, Horst Adler worked with Richard Pittioni in the Vienna Federal Monuments Office - most recently as senior councilor. From 1966 to 2003 he was responsible for the publication of the specialist journal Fundberichte aus Österreich . In addition, he carried out finds and excavations. He became known in the 1970s primarily through research into an extensive Germanic settlement near Bernhardsthal in the Weinviertel .
Adler mainly published on the early history of Austria, but also commented on many of the prehistoric legacies of Upper and Lower Austria. In 1977 he was significantly involved in the exhibition of the Lower Austrian State Museum ( Museum of Prehistory ) in Asparn on the Zaya " Teutons , Avars , Slavs in Lower Austria. The first millennium after Christ ”. He also wrote catalog articles for this purpose.
- The prehistoric grave field Linz-St. Peter. Part 1: Material (= Linz archaeological research. 2, ). City Museum, Linz 1965.
- The prehistoric grave field Linz-St. Peter . Part 2: The early Bronze Age (= Linz archaeological research. 3). City Museum, Linz 1967.
- A Germanic settlement from the Roman Empire in Bernhardsthal. In: Find reports from Austria. 14, 1975, , pp. 7-14.
- A Germanic body grave from the Roman Empire in Neuruppersdorf. In: Find reports from Austria. 14, 1975, pp. 15-26.
- A Germanic farm building from the Roman Empire. In: Find reports from Austria. 15, 1976, pp. 9-18.
- For dating some leg combs from the Roman Empire in Bernhardsthal. In: Find reports from Austria. 15, 1976, pp. 19-18.
- The "field" with Paulus Deacon . In: Herbert Mitscha-Märheim , Herwig Friesinger , Helga Kerchler (eds.): Festschrift for Richard Pittioni for his seventieth birthday. Volume 2: Industrial archeology and metal technology. Roman times, early history and the Middle Ages, other (= Archaeologia Austriaca. Supplement. 14, ). Deuticke, Vienna 1976, ISBN 3-7005-4421-9 , pp. 256-262.
- with Herwig Friesinger: The time of the migration of peoples in Lower Austria (= Wissenschaftliche Schriftenreihe Niederösterreich. 41/42). Verlag Niederösterreichisches Pressehaus, St. Pölten et al. 1979, ISBN 3-85326-530-8 .
- with Helmut Hundsbichler: A late medieval water mill on the Thaya near Rabensburg. In: Find reports from Austria. 19, 1981, pp. 9-54.
- Literature by and about Horst Adler in the catalog of the German National Library
- Literature by and about Horst Adler in the bibliographic database WorldCat
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Austrian prehistorian|
|DATE OF BIRTH||April 28, 1941|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Vienna|