Iris Apfel was born Iris Barrel in Astoria, Queens , New York . She is the only child of Samuel Barrel, who ran a glazing business, and Sadye Barrel, who ran a fashion boutique. She studied art history at New York University and later attended the University of Wisconsin Art Academy.
Iris Barrel worked for Women's Wear Daily, interior designer Elinor Johnson, and illustrator Robert Goodman. On February 22, 1948 she married Carl Apfel (1914-2015), with whom she founded the textile company Old World Weavers in 1950, where she worked until she retired in 1992. During this time she also had assignments for the White House in Washington . The Apples remained married until Carl's death at the age of 100.
Her 2005 exhibition "Rara Avis" at the Metropolitan Museum of Art was the first exhibition on fashion and accessories that the museum dedicated to a living person who is not a fashion designer.
Iris Apfel became known through her appearances on the Internet and on television, especially through the 2014 documentary Iris by Albert Maysles. The American is internationally famous for her extravagant appearance in public and because of her old age.
In February 2019, at the age of 97, Iris Apfel signed a contract with the IMG model agency . Kate Moss , Chrissy Teigen and Gigi Hadid are also under contract with this agency . In November 2019 she was featured on the cover of Der Spiegel magazine (issue 48/2019).
- Accidential Icon. Style is not a question of age , Midas Collection , Zurich 2019, ISBN 978-3-03876-146-4 .
- Literature by and about Iris Apfel in the catalog of the German National Library
- Alfons Kaiser: The old starlet , in: FAZ from August 29, 2016
- Iris Apfel in the Internet Movie Database (English)
- Selections from the Iris Apple Collection. Retrieved February 8, 2019 .
- Emily Dixon CNN: Iris Apfel signs contract with IMG. February 6, 2019, accessed February 8, 2019 .
- 06 12 2019 at 12:43 by Thomas Kramar: Look at it? "News?" Never! December 6, 2019, accessed February 8, 2020 .
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Barrel, Iris (maiden name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||American businesswoman, interior designer, and fashion icon|
|DATE OF BIRTH||August 29, 1921|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Queens , New York City|