Jörn Happel (* 1978 in Gießen ) is a German historian and university professor. He has been teaching Eastern European History at the Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel since 2018 and is leading a DFG research project at the Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn .
Jörn Happel attended the Landgraf-Ludwig-Gymnasium in Giessen . After graduating from high school, he studied Eastern European history , political science and modern history at the Justus Liebig University in Gießen from 1998 , where he was a lecturer in Eastern European history from 2004 to 2006. From 2005 to 2017 he was a research assistant at the Professorship for Eastern European and Modern General History at the University of Basel , where he has been teaching as a private lecturer since 2016. In 2009 he did his doctorate with Heiko Haumann summa cum laude with a thesis on nomadic worlds and tsarist politics. The uprising in Central Asia in 1916 . In the 2013/14 winter semester, Happel was professor for Russian / Asian Studies at the Ludwig Maximilians University in Munich .
After research stays at the German Historical Institute in Moscow , at the Center for Russian, East European and Eurasian Studies at Stanford University and at the Research Center for Eastern Europe at the University of Bremen , Jörn Happel was awarded the venia docendi for Modern and Eastern European History by the University of Basel in 2016 ; his habilitation thesis on the history of diplomacy was published in 2018 under the title Der Ost-Experte. Gustav Hilger - diplomat in the age of extremes . In 2017 and 2018, Happel taught as a substitute professor for Eastern European History at the University of Konstanz , and since 2018 he has been a lecturer for Eastern European History at the History Department of the Christian-Albrechts-Universität zu Kiel . Since December 2019, Happel has headed the Heisenberg project of the German Research Foundation (DFG) “Measuring the Empire. The Aral Sea , its exploration and the Russian Empire in the 19th century ”at the Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn .
Main focus of work and research
- Eastern European, European, and American history
- History of the intercultural relations between Eastern and Western Europe
- History of Central Asia and Siberia
- History of Eastern Jewry
- History of the Russian Revolution
- Diplomacy history
- Lifeworld and biography research
- Cartography and space
- Visual history
Memberships and honors
- 2018: University of Konstanz teaching award from students (LUKS)
- 2010: Fritz Theodor Epstein Prize of the Association of Eastern European Historians (VOH)
- Member of the Eastern Europe Forum Basel (OFB), 2010–2014 member of the board
- Member of the Association of Eastern European Historians (VOH), 2011–2017 member of the board
As an author
- The East Expert. Gustav Hilger - diplomat in the age of extremes. Paderborn 2018, ISBN 978-3-50678609-8 .
- Nomadic worlds and tsarist politics. The uprising in Central Asia 1916. Stuttgart 2010, ISBN 978-3-515-09771-0 .
- with Manfred Sapper ; Volker Weichsel; Jan Kusber ; Heidi Hein-Kircher : Measured World. Eastern Europe experts in the 20th century. Eastern Europe 67: 1-2 (2017).
- with Norman Domeier: Foreign Correspondents . Journalism and Politics 1900–1970. Journal of History 62: 5 (2014).
- with Malte Rolf : Cross-border commuters in multi-ethnic empires. Drawing and crossing of borders in Russia and Austria-Hungary (1850–1919) . Historical Journal 59: 5 (2011).
- with Christophe von Werdt; Mira Jovanović: Mapping Eastern Europe - Mapping Eastern Europe. Münster 2010, ISBN 978-364380015-2 .
- with Heiko Haumann ; Carmen Scheide : The Century of Memory. Remembering and Forgetting in Russian and Soviet History in the 20th Century. St. Petersburg 2010, ISBN 978-5-901603-19-2 .
As Associate Editor in Series
- since 2017 scientific advisory board and co-editor of the journal Koło Historii. Czasopismo afiliowane z Instytutem Historii Uniwersytetu Marii Curie-Skłodowskiej w Lublinie .
- Literature by Jörn Happel in the catalog of the German National Library
- Literature by Jörn Happel in the research database of the University of Basel
- Website by Jörn Happel at the University of Basel
- Review of Der Ost-Experte on sehepunkte.de
- LMU website. Retrieved January 11, 2019 .
- Jörn Happel on the CREES website. Retrieved January 11, 2019 .
- Article from the Weser Kurier. July 5, 2012, accessed January 11, 2019 .
- Regence protocol of the Univ. Basel. December 14, 2016, accessed January 11, 2019 .
- Jörn Happel on the website of the University of Konstanz. Retrieved January 11, 2019 .
- Jörn Happel on the website of the University of Kiel. Retrieved January 11, 2019 .
- On the trail of the development of the Aral Sea. December 18, 2019, accessed December 18, 2019 .
- Website for LUKS 2018 Univ. Constancy. Retrieved January 11, 2019 .
- Winner of the Epstein Prize (1986 - 2012). VOH, accessed January 11, 2019 .
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||German historian and university professor|
|DATE OF BIRTH||1978|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||to water|