Karl Emanuel (Hessen-Rotenburg)
Karl Emanuel was a son of Landgrave Konstantin von Hessen-Rotenburg and his wife Countess Sophie von Starhemberg . He served as a colonel in the Imperial Cuirassier Regiment in Austria from 1757–1778 and was appointed general after his departure.
In 1778 he succeeded his father as ruler of Hessen-Rotenburg. During his reign, Electoral Hesse was occupied by Napoleon in 1806, and the partial sovereignty of the Rotenburger Quart was not affected during the time of the Kingdom of Westphalia .
In 1782 he was made a knight of the Order of the Golden Fleece .
His godfather was King Charles Emanuel III. of Sardinia (naming). In 1771 he married Princess Leopoldine von Liechtenstein (1754–1823), with whom he had the following children:
- Victor Amadeus (1779–1834), Landgrave of Hesse-Rotenburg, ⚭ (I) 1799 Leopoldina von Fürstenberg-Stühlingen († 1806); ⚭ (II) 1812 Elisabeth zu Hohenlohe-Langenburg († 1830); ⚭ (III) 1831 Eleonore von Salm-Reifferscheidt-Krautheim.
- Clothilde (1787–1869), ⚭ 1811 Prince Karl August zu Hohenlohe-Bartenstein (1788–1844)
In addition, he had a son from his extramarital relationship with Lucie Juliane Struve (* 1769 in Kassel), Ernst (* February 11, 1796 in Rotenburg, † August 25, 1875 in Lichtenthal), who was raised to Baron von Blumenstein and after his marriage in 1818 with Johanna Caroline Friederike von Meyerfeld (1799–1866) became the progenitor of this family.
- Hans-Günter Kittelmann: Small guide through the Rotenburger Quart 1627-1834 and the Princely House of Hesse-Rotenburg. History Association Altkreis Rotenburg, ISBN 3-00-010155-1 .
- Messages from the Association for Hessian History and Regional Studies eV Kassel. .
- Hessen-Rotenburg, Carl Emanuel Landgrave of. Hessian biography. (As of December 4, 2019). In: Landesgeschichtliches Informationssystem Hessen (LAGIS).
Landgrave of Hessen-Rotenburg
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Hessen-Rotenburg, Karl Emanuel von; Hessen-Rotenburg, Karl Emmanuel von|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Landgrave of Hessen-Rotenburg (1778–1812)|
|DATE OF BIRTH||June 5, 1746|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Langenschwalbach|
|DATE OF DEATH||March 23, 1812|
|Place of death||Frankfurt am Main|