herbs of Provence
Herbs of Provence are a mixture of herbs used in French cuisine .
- As a rule, savory , rosemary and thyme are always used.
- Lavender , oregano and marjoram are often added.
- Occasionally, these are supplemented with basil , tarragon , fennel seeds , chervil , bay leaves or juniper berries .
- Individual manufacturers add lovage , parsley and sage .
The herbs are freshly mixed, dried as a finished mixture, or preserved in the form of spicy vinegar or spice oil . Herbs from Provence are not a protected designation of origin - most of the herbal mix sold under this name today comes from the Balkan countries or the Maghreb .
- Brockhaus Kochkunst, p. 231, 2008, Bibliographisches Institut & FA Brockhaus, ISBN 978-3-7653-3281-4 .