Menyhért Palágyi (original name: Silberstein) (born December 16 or 26, 1859 in Paks , Hungary; † July 14, 1924 in Darmstadt ), in German-language publications Melchior Palágyi , was a Hungarian-Jewish philosopher , mathematician , physicist , literary and epistemology and conducted research on logic, epistemology and natural philosophy. He was the older brother of the Hungarian poet Ludwig Palágy .
In his work New Theory of Space and Time (1901), Palágyi presented a “space-time theory” which had a certain external resemblance to the space-time formalism of Henri Poincaré and Hermann Minkowski in the context of the special theory of relativity (e.g. the imaginary time coordinate it as the fourth dimension). Around 1914 he even accused Albert Einstein and Minkowski of plagiarism, but at the same time he expressed his rejection of RT, which he justified with the fact that they had completely misunderstood his theories. As Max Born or Klaus Hentschel explain, however, his philosophy had nothing in common with the physics of the theory of relativity , but is merely a reformulation of the classical context. Palagyi is also traded as one of the ancestors of cybernetic anthropology with his concept of a vital fantasy . His theory of virtual movement forms the basis for various motion therapeutic concepts.
Menyhért Palágyi (Melchior Palágyi) was buried in the Darmstadt forest cemetery (grave site: R 14 IIc 109).
- Madách Imre élete és költészete (I. Madach's life and poems. With portrait by MP). Budapest: Athenaeum, 1900.
- New theory of space and time. The basic concepts of metageometry . Unchangeable reprogr. Reprint d. Ed. Leipzig, Engelmanns Verlag, 1901. Darmstadt: Wiss. Buchges., 1967.
- Kant and Bolzano: A critical parallel . Hall aS: M. Niemeyer, 1902.
- The Controversy of Psychologists and Formalists in Modern Logic . Leipzig: W. Engelmann, 1902.
- The theory of relativity in modern physics . Lecture given at the 85th Natural Scientists Day in Vienna. Berlin: G. Reimer, 1914.
- To world mechanics . Contributions to the metaphysics of physics. With a foreword by Ernst Gehrcke. Leipzig. Published by Johann Ambrosius Barth. 1925
- Natural philosophy lectures: About the basic problems of consciousness and life . Leipzig: Johann Ambrosius Barth 1924.
- Perceptual theory . With e. Introduction v. Dr. Ludwig Klages . Leipzig: Barth, 1925.
- Edmund Husserl : Literature report: Melchior Palagyi. The Controversy of Psychologists and Formalists in Modern Logic. In: Journal of Psychology and Physiology of the Sensory Organs. 31, 1903, pp. 287-294.
- Baal Müller : Cosmics: Process ontology and temporal poetics with Ludwig Klages and Alfred Schuler: On the philosophy and poetry of the Schwabinger Kosmischen Runde. Telesma 2007, pp. 69ff., ISBN 3981005732 .
- Goswin Uphues: On the Crisis in Logic: a dispute with Dr. Melchior Palágyi. Schwetschke & Sohn, Berlin 1903.
- Ludwig Wilhelm Schneider: The first period in Melchior Palágyi's philosophical work. Triltsch, Würzburg 1942.
- Renate Walthes: On the theory of virtual movement: Perception, movement and language in Waldorf education and with Melchior Palágyi. A contribution to kinetics. Dissertation. Marburg 1979.
- János Kristóf Nyíri : Words and Images in Austro-Hungarian Philosophy: From Palágyi to Wittgenstein. In: Reports on the history of science . 24, 3, 2001, pp. 147-153.
- János Kristóf Nyíri (Ed.): From Bolzano to Wittgenstein - to the tradition of Austrian philosophy. Hölder-Pichler-Tempsky, Vienna 1986, ISBN 3-209-00628-8 ( series of publications by the Wittgenstein Society. Vol. 12,2).
- Max Born: Palagyi, Melchio: The theory of relativity . In: The natural sciences . 3, No. 1, 1915.
- Hubert Goenner: On the history of geometrization of space-time . In: 414th Heraeus Seminar . 2008. arxiv : 0811.4529 .
- Literature by and about Menyhért Palágyi in the catalog of the German National Library
- Vita (English)
- Entry in the Jewish Encyclopedia (English)
- Website about Palagyi (English)
- PALÁGYI'S CRITICISTS OF THE SUBJECT THEORY by Kristóf Nyíri (Budapest)
- Information at the main entrance of the Waldfriedhof Darmstadt
|ALTERNATIVE NAMES||Palagyi, Melchior; Silberstein, Melchior (maiden name)|
|BRIEF DESCRIPTION||Hungarian philosopher, mathematician|
|DATE OF BIRTH||December 26, 1859|
|PLACE OF BIRTH||Paks , Hungary|
|DATE OF DEATH||July 14, 1924|
|Place of death||Darmstadt|